QA Engineer, CSR2
At NaturalMotion, we make games that wow people. We innovate to create experiences that previously were impossible and that would not exist without us. We take pride in making titles that reach a large audience and in creating communities that last. In 2018, NaturalMotion Studios were named one of the Best Places to Work in the UK games industry by gamesindustry.biz.
As QA Engineer, you’ll already have confidence in your core skills whilst being aware of what you don’t know yet. A strong sense of personal belief is important, supported by work samples, references, and lessons learned on the way.
You will have in-depth QA, technical and project expertise, and have full ownership of quality across designated game areas. You will handle high priority features while ensuring timely delivery against production timescales and costs. You will be expected to understand the relationship between client and server.
Key Roles & Responsibilities:
- Execute functional tests in a grey box environment, developing understanding of game code and logic to push QA further into the development cycle.
- Actively QA own areas and ensure defects are entered. This will include taking on features which are technically or practically more challenging leading to higher risk.
- Standard bearer for QA, representing discipline in planning, weekly meetings, daily scrums and other team Agile practices.
- Solve complex problems in effective, efficient and resourceful ways. Ability to break problems down.
- Promote cross-discipline knowledge sharing, e.g. work with code on how to best QA network traffic.
- Ensures a positive, professional and collaborative team environment is maintained.
- Works with outsource QA team to achieve best possible results, including creating documentation, mentoring where appropriate and fielding questions.
- Flexibility in responding to business priorities.
- Assist with efforts to automate test runs and pinpoint areas of the game that could be open to automation.
- Deep understanding of client/server testing
- Familiarity with source control, such as GIT or SVN.
- Has worked with development environments such as Xcode, Visual Studio, Android SDK, Unity etc.
- Understanding of how software architecture influences the amount of testing required, including optimizing tests that utilize the same code paths. Ability to pair test features.
- Adept at costing, time estimation, risk analysis, and root cause analysis.
- Ability to carry out Telemetry testing.
- Familiarity with iOS and Android operating systems and hardware.
- Understanding of the SDLC and Change Management.
- Aware of the defect metrics the QA team should be tracking to measure success.
- Enthusiasm for learning new technical and QA skills.
- Passion for gaming and a positive outlook.
- Awareness of mobile games market on iOS and Android.
- Strong initiative and ability to pro-actively self-manage; always looking for new and better solutions to existing challenges.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills, backed up with a proactive approach to knowledge sharing and best practise.
- Experienced with agile methodologies.
- Expert understanding of software QA and games development practices and terminology (ideally in relation to mobile games or live-supported games).
- Previous experience with bug databases, preferably JIRA.
- Experience using a test management system, preferably TestRail.
- Ideally worked within games as a service product, understands the concept of ‘Live QA’.
What do we offer?
- Competitive salary, discretionary annual bonus scheme and Zynga stock allowance
- Contributory pension scheme
- 25 days holiday, plus public holidays and Christmas shutdown
- Private medical care and healthcare cash plan
- Life insurance and critical illness insurance
- Discounted gym membership and free weekly yoga class
- Flexible working hours
- Free fruit, snacks & soft drinks provided daily, as well as free lunch on Fridays
- Annual season ticket loan and cycle to work scheme
- Summer and Christmas parties and Happy Hour every Friday
NaturalMotion is an equal opportunity employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, pregnancy, marital status or veteran status.