Full-Stack Software Engineer
We are seeking a highly motivated, talented engineer to join our Chicago Software Engineering Team. As an engineer, you will participate in the full software development life-cycle where we expect that all engineers can work full stack to some degree, but most engineers have a primary competency. Our full-stack engineers spend most of their time prototyping, designing, and implementing features from our product team that enables Lexio to tell a more insightful and valuable story.
You will succeed in this role if you enjoy making practical changes and seeing your products in use. Someone who is “service-minded” will excel on our team, meaning you naturally enjoy seeking out user pain points and working to resolve them. This role will also allow for excellent mentorship opportunities with other engineers within the organization.
This role will be on our Depth Team, which primarily focuses on taking user-provided data and writing a comprehensive story about it. We do this by determining what insights Lexio can provide based on the data, determining what Lexio should write and how the story should be structured with our NLG platform, and finally, how we want to present that story to our users in an interactive and intuitive way.
As a Full Stack Engineer on the Depth Team you will be focused on determining what Lexio should write and how we want to write it. You will work on multiple components within our system. A person in this role will be working hand in hand with our product team to determine how we can improve our existing stories as well as working with our design team to improve how our customers interact with Lexio. This role will have a solid mix of greenfield projects and platform improvements, along with plenty of opportunities to prototype, and build lasting features and enhancements. A person in this role should be comfortable prototyping features and working on ambiguous problems.
- 2+ years of professional software development experience
- Experience with developing with scripting languages, such as Python
- A desire to grow as both a back-end and front-end engineer
- A passion for creating high-quality and performant systems
- Experience working with web technologies
- A demonstrated ability to write clean, helpfully-commented, and readable code
- A drive to learn constantly with an analytical and problem-solving mindset
- Experience writing end-to-end Selenium tests or other integration tests
- Familiarity with cloud computing, particularly AWS
- Knowledge of REST: Ideal candidates will have experience building REST services as well as developing clients for them
- Experience with Unix / Linux systems (e.g. Ubuntu, CentOS, RedHat, etc.)
- Experience with continuous integration systems (Jenkins, CircleCI, etc)
About Narrative Science:
Narrative Science creates software that writes stories from enterprise data to drive understanding and results. Powered by artificial intelligence, our technology automatically turns data into easy-to-understand reports, transforms statistics into stories, and converts numbers into knowledge. Narrative Science works with customers including Deloitte, MasterCard, USAA, and members of the U.S. intelligence community, empowering them to understand and act on key business metrics, make better decisions, and focus talent on higher-value tasks -- all through the power of data storytelling.