Software Engineering Manager
The Business Intelligence market is undergoing a revolution rooted in the idea that not everyone is going to be a data expert, but people should still be empowered to make decisions using data. We believe data storytelling is critical to addressing this problem and Narrative Science is at the cutting edge of this movement. To support this mission, the most successful engineers at Narrative Science balance drive, resilience, humility, and creativity.
As the Engineering Manager, you will lead our content application development team. You will work across teams to foster a culture of software architecture that allows for iterative, autonomous development and future scaling. You’ll do well in the role if you thrive in a fast-paced environment, enjoy pursuing dynamic challenges, and love to collaborate to achieve those goals.
- Partner with product development teams and other functions to ensure technical priorities are in alignment as it pertains to the product roadmap
- Review engineering work thoroughly and ensure it’s appropriately broken down, prioritized, and understood by all involved team members
- Lead, mentor and coach engineering team members and foster their career development
- Set high goals and hold teams accountable for meeting goals
- Identify, design and develop solutions to improve the team’s efficiency
- Seek code reviews of your work and review code of your peers’ work
- Use metrics to identify gaps and work with team members on solutions
- Foster a culture of feedback across the company
- Work with your team to resolve blockers and hurdles to complete tasks
- Be a strategic and technical partner to the business who recognizes and shares product opportunities to refine the roadmap
- Act an ambassador for the team to both internal and external clients
- A Bachelor's degree or 5+ years of professional software development experience
- Previous experience managing engineering teams
- Validated problem solving and analytical skills to resolve technical issues
- Proficiency in Python or other language
- Proven software related project management experience
- Ability to write clear, concise and testable code
- Experience developing in Linux/Unix systems
- Experience working with and debugging web applications
- Familiarity with Amazon Web Services
- Proven capability for critical thinking, problem solving and the patience to see hard problems through to the end with our clients
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; the ability to speak to business owners, end users, and engineers
About the Engineering Team @ Narrative Science
The Engineering team at Narrative Science specializes in delivering high-value cloud-based solutions to customers. Specifically, we are responsible for building and innovating on an insightful and personalized data storytelling platform. We work a lot with data pipelines, analytics, natural language generation (NLG), continuous deployment tooling, and cloud architecture.
Culture @ Narrative Science
Narrative Science believes that data storytelling can empower everyone to understand and take action from their data. Our mission is to build software that leverages artificial intelligence to automatically turn data into easy-to-understand reports, transforms statistics into stories, and converts numbers into knowledge.
Our core virtues (mission-driven, impactful, team first, innovative) are ingrained in everything we do, from how we develop our technology to how we interact with customers to how we hire people. Since 2020, we have embraced a remote-first approach and our team has the option to work from home or safely from our Chicago office. This flexibility will remain after COVID.
At Narrative Science, we embrace the diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives of our future employees, colleagues, customers, partners, and other stakeholders. We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, marital status, citizenship, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.