Software Engineering Team Lead
Software Engineering Team Lead
The Business Intelligence market is undergoing a revolution rooted in the idea that not everyone will be a data expert; however, we believe people should be empowered to make decisions using data. Data storytelling is critical to addressing this problem, and Narrative Science is at the cutting edge of this movement. To support this mission, our engineers are at the forefront—the most successful engineers at Narrative Science balance drive, resilience, humility, and creativity.
As the Engineering Team Lead, you will lead a subset of our application development team. You will work with your team to foster a culture of software architecture that allows for iterative, autonomous development and future scaling. This role reports to the Director of Engineering, who will mentor and coach you to build your management skillset. You'll do well in the position if you thrive in a fast-paced environment, enjoy pursuing dynamic challenges, and love to collaborate to achieve those goals.
- Partner with the product development team and other functions to ensure technical priorities are in alignment as it pertains to the product roadmap
- Review engineering work thoroughly and ensure it's appropriately broken down, prioritized, and understood by all involved team members
- Lead, mentor, and coach engineering team members and foster their career development
- Set high goals and hold teams accountable for meeting goals
- Identify, design, and develop solutions to optimize the team's efficiency
- Seek code reviews of your work and review code of your peers' work
- Foster a culture of feedback across the company
- Work with your team to resolve blockers and hurdles to complete tasks
- Be a partner to the business by recognizing and sharing product opportunities to refine the roadmap
- Act an ambassador for the team to both internal and external clients
- A Bachelor's degree or 5+ years of professional software development experience
- Previous experience leading or managing engineers
- Problem-solving and analytical skills to resolve technical issues
- Proficiency in Python or another language
- Ability to write clear, concise, and testable code
- Experience developing in Linux/Unix systems
- Experience coding and debugging web applications
- Familiarity with Amazon Web Services
- Proven capability for critical thinking, problem-solving, and the patience to see challenging problems through to the end with our clients
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; the ability to concisely speak to business owners, end-users, and engineers
About the Engineering Team @ Narrative Science
The Engineering team at Narrative Science specializes in delivering high-value cloud-based solutions to customers. Specifically, we are responsible for building and innovating on an insightful and personalized data storytelling platform. We work a lot with data pipelines, analytics, natural language generation (NLG), continuous deployment tooling, and cloud architecture.
Culture @ Narrative Science
Narrative Science believes that data storytelling can empower everyone to understand and take action from their data. Our mission is to build software that leverages artificial intelligence to automatically turn data into easy-to-understand reports, transforms statistics into stories, and converts numbers into knowledge.
Our core virtues (mission-driven, impactful, team first, innovative) are ingrained in everything we do, from how we develop our technology to how we interact with customers to how we hire people. Since 2020, we have embraced a remote-first approach and our team has the option to work from home or safely from our Chicago office. This flexibility will remain after COVID.
At Narrative Science, we embrace the diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives of our future employees, colleagues, customers, partners, and other stakeholders. We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, marital status, citizenship, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.