STATEMENT OF THE JOB:
Art Director is responsible for producing all elements and components of publication, digital media and video design with practical creativity. Must be able to collaborate with editorial staff in creating feature layouts. Demonstrate ability to design autonomously as well as function as part of team in order to produce high quality editorial, advertorial and advertising assignments. Skill set must include sophisticated sense of typography, photo sourcing and photo editing skills, dynamic page layout and ability to tell a story through words and pictures. Manages workflow as assigned. Self starter with attention to deadlines and details.
Please include pdf samples when you apply
- Fully experienced in Adobe CS, multiple versions, in particular InDesign
- At least a four-year degree in design, art, journalism, related field or life experience
- At least 4 years of consumer/trade/custom magazine or design agency experience
- Solid working knowledge of publishing workflows, page templates and pre-press processes
- Sophisticated sensibility in application of imagery and process color to editorial page
- Knowledge and appreciation of editorial design, page grid, typography, digital and video design
- Independent self-starter with a solutions-oriented attitude
- Highly organized, proactive, detail oriented with ability to work in a fast paced environment
- Deadline and project oriented
- Excellent judgment and problem-solving skills
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills, must be able to understand and utilize tact and persuasiveness while interacting with internal as well as external customers
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Professional conduct and appearance
- Excellent ethics and integrity
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work with Creative leadership, design and editorial staff to conceptualize story layouts, photo essays, advertorials, templates, maps and advertising. Produce all elements of Morris/Where® products including, but not limited to Where magazine, Quick Guides, coffee table destination GuestBooksTM, high-end custom publishing, digital media and video titles
- Be accountable for and manage project deadlines and workflow
- Recommend methods to streamline and improve production/design processes
- Participate in book building process from concept through printed product
- Facilitate the success of the Creative team by being an active participant on the team
- Be familiar with primary responsibilities of other team members and assist them when necessary
- Monitor and stay current with all products produced by the team
- Stay current on new software and technological advancements
- Be accountable for meeting all deadlines and schedules
WORKING CONDITIONS: (if applicable)
Primarily seated at a desk using a computer in an air-conditioned office.
Must be able to work in a drug-free, smoke-free environment. Occasional night or weekend work.
This is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job management reserves the right to revise the job to require that other or different tasks be performed when circumstances change (e.g., emergencies, changes in personnel, workload, rush jobs, or technological developments).
We are an equal opportunity employer. We consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, or the presence of a disability, which would not prevent the performance of essential job duties with, or without reasonable accommodation or any other protective status.