Savannah Magazine Associate Editor ~ PART-TIME
STATEMENT OF THE JOB: The Associate Editor serves a vital function on the editorial team by helping the Editor-in-Chief conceptualize, manage and execute the editorial brand for the family of Savannah magazine lifestyle publications, including the bimonthly Savannah magazine, the tri-annual Savannah HOMES magazine, the annual Southern Coastal Weddings magazine, and their allied digital assets. This position will manage the flow of editorial content, including recruiting and contracting with freelance writers and coordinating photography and visual elements with the art department.
REQUIREMENTS OR SPECIFICATIONS:
EDUCATION: A bachelor’s degree in journalism, creative writing or a related field is required.
EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING: One to two years’ previous magazine editorial experience is preferred. Strong copyediting skills and working knowledge of AP Style is a must.
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS: Valid driver’s license, good driving record and a reliable vehicle required.
RESOURCEFULNESS: Above all else, the Associate Editor must possess enthusiasm and curiosity for Savannah’s cultural and business landscape. A positive attitude is essential, as is a willingness to explore new editorial platforms, initiatives, and aims in a changing media environment.
WORKING CONDITIONS: This position will be a part-time. Working in a large office within separate work space. Workday is from 8:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. Work responsibilities may take staff throughout the city on a regular basis.
THE DUTIES OF THE JOB:
- Manage the editorial strategy and production of designated sections, issues and media in coordination with the Editor.
- Represent the magazine and its brand-conscious products in the community outside traditional office hours, taking the initiative to build strategic partnerships.
- Participate in editorial pitch meetings
- Pull together working and final story lists for each issue
- Manage and update editorial budget spreadsheets
- Manage contracts with freelance writers
- Write multiple stories per issue
- Assign, edit and proof editorial content, as needed.
- Attend photo shoots and events as needed
- Play an active role in the post-production of the magazine, placing final edited stories on the production server; reviewing flat plans in mind of flow, page count, and ad placement; preparing pages and contract for copy editor; reviewing all designed stories; copy edits; inputting editorial changes via InDesign during and following table read
- Work with editor-in-chief to compose brand messages and brainstorm new initiatives as part of the marketing team.
- Assist with the management of the digital team to establish and accomplish digital content and audience-development goals.
- Stay on top of trends and opportunities in magazine publishing and digital media.
- Any other tasks deemed necessary by the editor.
This is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, efforts or working conditions associated with the job. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of this job, management reserves the right to revise the job or to require that other or different tasks be performed when circumstances changes, (i.e. emergencies, changes in personnel, workload, rush jobs or technological developments).
We are an equal opportunity employer. We consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, or presence of disability, which would not prevent the performance of essential job duties with or without reasonable accommodation or any other protective status.