The part-time Editor will plan and edit print and digital content for multiple markets within the WhereTraveler magazine brand, ensuring accuracy, timeliness and quality. This position is based in our headquarters office in Augusta, Georgia.
- 2+ years of excellent writing/copyediting experience and strong editorial judgment
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, English or related field
- Strongly self-motivated and needing minimal supervision
- Highly computer literate, including hands-on experience with InDesign/InCopy, Adobe, Drupal and other content management systems
- Experience with magazine and print product processes from concept to print date
- Experience in digital publishing
- Passion for both traditional and new digital publishing processes and social media
- Highly detail-oriented and organized
- Ability to consistently meet deadlines on multiple projects
- Ability to multitask and manage several assignments simultaneously
- Dynamic, can-do personality with ability to confidently execute WhereTraveler’s editorial vision
- Knowledge of budgeting and cost containment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work closely with publisher/sales, designers, photo editor and production management teams
- Knowledge of advertising sales competencies and how editorial can drive sales revenue in print and digital platforms
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Ensure deadlines are met for all assigned publications
- Research and hire freelance writers and maintain writer database
- Keep an up-to-date log of market’s budgets
- Participate in a weekly meeting with all editorial staff to discuss an editorial plan for the week, concerns within the department, production issues, etc.
- Be responsible for the timely dissemination of all digital newsletters for assigned markets
- Create storyboards for assigned WhereTraveler magazines, GuestBooks and special projects and conduct storyboard/planning meetings for these issues
- Coordinate with managing editor for additional assistance when needed
- Be in constant communication with art directors, photo editor and production staff at every stage of production, from concept to publication
- Participate in content strategy meetings that will focus on generating new story ideas for digital content for assigned markets
- Assist in monitoring and encouraging on-schedule delivery of digital content
- Advocate for editorial integrity while keeping in mind sales concerns such as sold covers, advertiser indexes, etc.
WORKING CONDITIONS: Will work in a drug-free, smoke-free environment.
This is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, management reserves the right to revise the job to require that other or different tasks be performed when circumstances change (e.g., emergencies, changes in personnel, workload, rush jobs, or technological developments).
We are an equal opportunity employer. We consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, or the presence of a disability, which would not prevent the performance of essential job duties with, or without reasonable accommodation or any other protective status.