Greenhouse Manager: Full Time Year Round
BASIC FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILTIES:
Working manager responsible for all aspects of the Greenhouse and Flower Shop operations. Areas of responsibility include: retail sales, interior plant decoration and maintenance, guest orders, amenity requests, propagation/maintaining Greenhouse plants, pest management, and general Greenhouse organization.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Supervise Greenhouse staff in the performance of their daily duties.
- Prepare appraisals and letters of communication as needed or scheduled.
- Train staff in best Greenhouse plant practices and technology.
- Supervise and coordinate maintenance of Greenhouse facilities; communicate needs to the appropriate department
- Ensure the Greenhouse operates in a safe manner to secure the safety of guests and employees.
- Adhere to all laws, rules, and regulations set forth by Federal, State, and local agencies as well as Mohonk Mountain House.
- Work with the Garden Manager in the planning needs for future gardens, schemes, promotions, budgets, special tasks, amenities and other related programs while relaying information to the Superintendent.
- Work with other departments ensuring guest satisfaction, convenience, professionalism, and appropriate accounting practices and support other departments in the completion of related tasks.
- Coordinate facility maintenance with other departments with guest use and convenience in mind.
- Analyze, make, and implement recommendations concerning Greenhouse methods, merchandizing and procedures.
- Maintain and purchase Greenhouse inventories of retail items, equipment, tools, and supplies
- Maintain current and increase horticultural knowledge, plant knowledge and technical updates.
- Perform all duties in a safe and efficient manner making sure all Proper Protective Equipment is being worn to the designed job of both staff and self.
- Interact with fellow staff and guests in a professional, courteous manner.
- Positively influence staff morale and exemplify a cooperative attitude.
- Maintain a clean, neat, professional appearance in accordance with Mohonk Mountain House Grooming and Dress Standards.
- Maintain order on job site and within Greenhouse storage areas.
- Provide informative talks, demonstrations, or workshops on current horticultural topics and weekly Greenhouse tours.
- Assist in regular house decoration and decoration for special occasions.
- Knowledgeable and skilled at making floral arrangements
- Work during extreme weather (summer heat to winter cold) in order to perform essential job functions.
- Perform simple math such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, compute taxes and discounts, and calculate correct change.
- Communicate effectively in English, both written and verbally in order to communicate with staff, guests and supervisors.
- Lift 75 lbs. from the ground to 3½ feet, stoop and lift a 20 lb. object from ground level to overhead, stand, bend, reach, lift, kneel, walk, climb ladders and go up and down stairs.
- Possess adequate vision and proper color identification so as to recognize visual indicators concerning plant health and color coordination for decorating purposes.
- Demonstrate interpersonal skills and display enjoyment in working with people.
- Work under high pressure situations, maintaining good personal composure.
- Work weekends, holidays, and other times as required.
- Proficient in Microsoft applications such as MS Outlook, Excel, and Word.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- At least 18 years of age.
- High School Diploma or GED.
- 2 year degree in horticulture or related field, or 5 years progressive experience in greenhouse operations
- Valid driver's license.
- Certified New York State Private Pesticide Applicator in Greenhouse Category.
- Minimum of one-year supervisory experience.