BASIC FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Greenhouse Grower works with a wide range of greenhouse plants. They are responsible for the management of plant growing operations and for the proper care of the greenhouse, including the principles and practices of plant cultivation, propagation, and protection. They also are responsible for the implementation and execution of an Integrated Pest Management program.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Comply with Environmental Protection Agency and Department of Environmental Conservation regulations.
- Monitor greenhouse environmental conditions and alert maintenance and Greenhouse Manager of any abnormal conditions.
- Apply knowledge of plant growth techniques to include but not limited to: watering, potting, fertilizing, staking, pruning, and propagation.
- Research industry trends regularly and maintain current horticultural and plant knowledge, technical updates, and provide support for our Integrated Pest Management program.
- Prioritize all aspects of growing operation with direction from Greenhouse Manager.
- Regularly scout greenhouses, assess insect populations, and fungal problems, and address issues found in a timely manner.
- Maintain protocol of organics, bio-rationals, botanicals or chemical methods, as well as our private license for greenhouse pesticide spraying.
- Manage crop nutrition (including nursery wide fertilization), monitor, and schedule crop production times and plant cutbacks.
- Identify plant needs and indicators of disease, stress or insect infestations and provide support for our Integrated Pest Management program.
- Communicate pesticide needs with applications with Greenhouse Manager or Superintendent.
- Complete management of insect and disease utilizing prescribed methods upholding all safety considerations.
- Collect, report, and maintain records of all pesticide applications and post current signage.
- Collect & ensure proper cleaning, disinfecting, sterilizing of tools on daily basis.
- Maintain interior plants within hotel areas which include watering, plant change, and visual observation for proper plant health.
- Record Garden Shop and Greenhouse Inventory. Stock, supplies and work with Greenhouse Manager on gift inventory and amenities.
- Maintain greenhouse and garden shop inventories, equipment, tools and supplies. Communicate needs to supervisor.
- Assist in merchandising and preparing Garden Shop and House for decoration (including special occasions), major decorating schemes, promotions, amenities, special tasks, and programs.
- Analyze and make recommendations concerning greenhouse methods, merchandising, and procedures.
- Interact with fellow staff and guests in a professional, courteous method. Supervise Greenhouse trainee and provide productive work.
- Answer guest questions with accurate information and demonstrate a friendly and helpful personality by smiling, eye contact, initiating conversation and engaging with others.
- Work productively and efficiently with or without supervision when performing routine tasks.
- Insure safety of guests, employees, and self, anywhere on the property.
- Adhere to all safety rules and regulations and wear safety equipment as required by Mohonk Mountain House.
- Adhere to Mohonk Mountain House’s Dress and Grooming Standards; presenting a neat, clean and well-groomed appearance and maintaining a positive, professional image to our customers.
- Learn and successfully demonstrate the Mohonk Mountain House Service Steps with Service Strategies with guests and staff.
- Learn and retain knowledge of historical facts and information about Mohonk Mountain House.
- Maintain a flexible work schedule including days/nights, weekdays/weekends, holidays, and during peak periods of business.
- Develop and maintain positive working relationships with other staff.
- Support all Mohonk Mountain House programs and policies.
- Inspect the work of others by touch, sight, sound and smell for conformance to prescribed standards.
- Work during extreme weather (summer heat to winter cold) in order to perform essential job functions.
- Research industry trends regularly and maintain a current knowledge of common or trending practices in the industry.
- Demonstrate organizational skills, proofreading skills, and produce well-written, error-free copies.
- Perform basic mathematical skills including addition, subtraction, multiplication, division and perform and record cash/credit transactions accurately.
- Speak, read and write the English language and communicate in a clear and congenial manner, with our guests, visitors and employees. Hear verbal instructions, directions and warnings.
- Lift up to 75 pounds from ground level to 3 feet and 20 pounds from ground level to overhead, and carry a distance of up to 100 feet with/ without assistance. Walk up to 3 miles per day.
- Reach with hands and arms, bend, kneel, stoop, twist and flex arms, walk up and down stairs/inclines, sit, climb up/down ladders or stand for up to 5 hours at a time.
- See close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- See colors so as to recognize visual indicators concerning plant health and color coordination for decorating purposes.
- Demonstrate good interpersonal skills and ability to work with a variety of people.
- Work under high pressure situations, maintaining good personal composure.
ABILITIES AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- At least 18 years of age.
- Valid driver’s license.
- 2 year degree in horticulture or related field, or 5 years progressive experience in greenhouse operations in order to adequately understand technical data and complete horticultural duties.
- Certified New York State Private Pesticide Applicator in Greenhouse Category
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.