Head Lifeguard: Seasonal until 9/24
BASIC FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Maintain a safe, sanitary and healthy swimming environment for our guests in Mohonk Lake Beach area. Supervise and lead lifeguards in the event of an emergency and ensure all their job functions are being done.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Select and lead guards in weekly drills.
- Assign staff daily assignments and monitor progress.
- Resolve procedural, operational and other work related problems by communicating with and responding appropriately to a demanding and diverse public in answering questions, explaining department/company policies and handling complaints.
- Ensure the safety of all swimmers in and out of the water while visiting our bathing beach.
- Maintain a clean beach area – including sweeping and raking of sand areas and docks as well as removing weeds and debris.
- Handout and collect towels. Record guest usage.
- Sell water to guests.
- Maintain a clean and safe changing area.
- Demonstrate comfortableness with lake ecology such as: inability to see the bottom of 60’ deep, snakes, frogs, turtles, and fish in size of approximately 11-20 inches.
- Administer 1st Aid and CPR as needed.
- Work other areas of Activities on a regular basis, such as: Wheelworks Bike Shop, Kids’ Club, Information Summerhouse, Tennis, Campfires, and special events.
- Facilitate alternative activities while the beach is closed due to thunder, lightning, or fog.
- Deal calmly and pleasantly with guests while under pressure.
- Handle adversity, change and emergency situations calmly and with a level head.
- Work in a manner that will not endanger self or others.
- Manipulate sports equipment.
- Memorize a history tour of the grounds, trails, and story of Mohonk and the Smiley Family.
- Work flexible or changing days and hours; including days, nights, weekends, holidays, and occasionally up to 14 hours per shift.
- Work productively and efficiently with or without supervision when performing routine tasks.
- Answer guest questions with accurate information and demonstrate a friendly and helpful personality by smiling, eye contact, initiating conversation and engaging with others.
- Demonstrate knowledge and appreciation of nature and the outdoors.
- Perform basic mathematical skills including addition, subtraction, multiplication, division and perform and record cash/credit transactions accurately.
- Bend, stoop, reach, climb, carry, and lift up to 75 pounds up and down 40 stairs consistently throughout an eight-hour work day.
- Speak clearly and in front of people.
- Row a rowboat and maneuver a kayak and rescue board.
- Lead activities to ensure social interaction amongst the guests and to ensure a happy and safe environment.
- Demonstrate good natural or corrected vision to see any safety hazards. Identifies safety hazards by sight, sound, and/or smell. Ensures hazards are corrected.
- Manipulate personal floatation devices (PFDs).
- Present a neat, clean, and well-groomed appearance in accordance with the Mohonk Mountain House Dress and Grooming Standards.
- Demonstrate knowledge and appreciation of nature and the outdoors
- Carry a two-way portable radio and earpiece to communicate and provide immediate response to emergency situations
- CPR/First Aid and Waterfront Lifeguard certification required.
- Experience or potential in a people-oriented job or potential for success in a people-oriented job preferred.
- At least 18 years old.
- Valid driver’s license.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.