Buffet Attendant: Part Time Year Round
BASIC FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Buffet Runner is responsible for the setting up of the buffet line, delivering the food and maintaining the appropriate amount of food during the meal, and then composting the remaining food. The Buffet Runner then is responsible for cleaning and sanitizing of the buffet line.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Set up and maintain buffets under the supervision of the Buffet Supervisor.
- Familiarize self with all buffet items and assist guests in selections as needed.
- Assume responsibility for the quality of food presented.
- Clean and inspect buffet equipment and serving utensils as needed.
- Maintain buffet in a clean and organized manner to facilitate high volume production.
- Handle and store food in a sanitary fashion.
- Work productively and efficiently with or without supervision when performing routine tasks.
- Recognize quality standards in fresh vegetables, fish, dairy and meats.
- Prepare eggs and omelets to order, as requested by guests from a list of options.
- Prepare waffles to order, slice and serve carved items, and flash-cook action station items according to prescribed standards.
- Learn revolving menus items including ingredients used, preparation of food, and unique dishes offered and provide accurate answers to menu questions asked by guests.
- Set up buffet in accordance in accordance with prescribed methods.
- Check the working condition of equipment and machinery in accordance with specifications. Inform supervisor of hazardous situations, emergencies or threats to the security of guests, employees or hotel assets.
- Coordinate with kitchen and pastry shop in replenishing food for the buffet.
- Ensure that all food on the buffet looks and tastes good.
- Obtain all necessary supplies and equipment to perform duties, including stocking of all china and silver as needed.
- Understand formal requisition process.
- Set up, breakdown and carry tables in a safe manner.
- Lift and carry 25-35 lbs in public areas of the hotel.
- Stand for a minimum of 4 hours
- Safely handle sterno and hot items with care.
- Communicate to the kitchen about volume of guests and food levels.
- Adhere to Mohonk Mountain House’s Dress and Grooming Standards; present a neat, clean and well-groomed appearance and maintain a positive, professional image to our customers.
- Inspect buffet and service areas by touch, sight, sound and smell for conformance to prescribed standards of cleanliness.
- Speak, read, and write in English and communicate in a clear and congenial manner, with our guests, visitors and employees.
- Hear verbal instructions, directions and warnings.
- Reach with hands and arms, bends, kneels, stoops, twist and flex arms, walk up and down stairs/inclines, sit, and stand for up to 3-4 hours at a time.
- Negotiate stairs up and down while carrying full trays and/or hot items weighing up to 25 pounds.
- Lift up to 40 pounds from ground level to waist height and carry up to 100 feet with/without assistance.
- Walk up to 4 miles per shift.
- Wear Mohonk Mountain House approved safety shoes, and proper safety equipment when performing tasks that recommend such equipment.
- Learn and retain knowledge of historical facts and information about Mohonk Mountain House.
- Maintain a flexible work schedule including days/nights, overnights, weekdays/weekends, holidays and during peak periods of business.
- Perform basic mathematical functions such as addition, subtraction, multiplication and division.
- Must be 17 years of age
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.