Garden Tech: Seasonal until 8/10
Provide regular maintenance and upkeep of various landscapes and gardens located throughout the property.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Cultivate, plant, transplant, water, stake, prune, dead-head, weed, rake, edge, mulch, harvest and attend to landscapes, small trees, groundcovers, shrubs, pathways, and annual/perennial plants.
- Haul garden debris, clear brush, and remove litter.
- Use hand tools such as shovels, rakes, forks, hoes, wheelbarrows, sprayers, hoses, and other garden tools to prepare and maintain garden beds.
- Inspect and take corrective action for plant diseases, pests, and wildlife damage.
- Work with staff to maintain the integrity of assigned landscape areas.
- Inspect, clean, and maintain tools and equipment in good working order.
- Learn and maintain a basic level of horticultural and plant knowledge.
- Inspect the work of others by touch, sight, sound and smell for conformance to prescribed standards of cleanliness.
- Speak, read and write the English language and communicate in a clear and congenial manner, with our guests, visitors and employees. Hear verbal instructions, directions and warnings.
- Reach with hands and arms, bend, kneel, stoop, twist and flex arms, walk up and down stairs/inclines, sit, climb up/down ladders or stand for up to 5 hours at a time.
- Lift up to 100 pounds from ground level to 36 inches with/ without assistance, lift up to 30 pounds from ground level to overhead, carry up to 100 feet with or without assistance. Walk up to 7 miles per day.
- See close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Act calmly and effectively in emergency situations.
- Analyze problems and develop and implement action plans to address problems.
- Work outdoors and expose self to natural elements including rain, heat, wind, weather extremes, pollen, and insects.
- Wear Proper Protective Equipment when performing tasks that recommend such equipment.
- Insure safety of guests, employees and self, anywhere on the property.
- Operate vehicles safely while driving and/or parking in compliance with Mohonk Mountain House Traffic Rules and Regulations.
- Monitor and evaluate work-related conditions to determine compliance with prescribed operating, safety regulations and Department guidelines.
- Inform supervisor of hazardous situations, emergencies or threats to the security of guests, employees or hotel assets.
- Work productively and efficiently with or without supervision when performing routine tasks.
- Adhere to Mohonk Mountain House’s Dress and Grooming Standards; presenting a neat, clean and well-groomed appearance and maintaining a positive, professional image to our customers.
- Learn and successfully demonstrate the Mohonk Mountain House Service Steps with Service Strategies with guests and staff.
- Learn and retain knowledge of historical facts and information about Mohonk Mountain House.
- Maintain a flexible work schedule including days/nights, overnights, weekdays/weekends, holidays, and during peak periods of business.
- Interact with fellow staff and guests in a professional, courteous method.
- Answer guest questions with accurate information and demonstrate a friendly and helpful personality by smiling, eye contact, initiating conversation and engaging with others.
- Valid Driver’s License.
- At least 18 years of age.
- Previous landscaping or gardening experience preferred.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.