Ice Skate Instructor: Seasonal until 4/15
BASIC FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Responsible for providing instruction to guests of the Pavilion Ice rink. This will encompass teaching the basic fundamentals of skating. Demonstrate proper use of equipment, techniques and methods of proper movements to achieve proficiency in activity.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Arrive prepared and on time; maintain good attendance.
- Possess skill level of ice skating proficiency and ability to demonstrate starts, stops, and forward and backward skating techniques.
- Provide skating techniques to guests as young as 5 years of age.
- Communicate techniques clearly and effectively in a manner that students of any age can understand.
- Explain and enforce safety, rules, and regulations; encourage and role model appropriate behavior on the ice.
- Use appropriate language.
- Adhere to Mohonk Mountain House’s Dress standards.
- Assist with programming and lesson scheduling times.
- Bill students and communicate the cost and cancellation policies.
- Speak positively about the participants, other instructors, and co-workers.
- Seek ways to enhance the lesson in unexpected ways, passionate about client satisfaction, asking “How can I exceed your expectations?”
- Maintain a consistent attitude; cheerful, positive, and “can do;” motivate and energize others.
- Respond in a encouraging manner with alternate solutions to meet the guests needs/requests, show initiative and take action with appropriate level of independence.
- Interest in working with young or adolescent children.
- Energy, initiative, creativity, and willingness to try new approaches and techniques
- Work in the cold for as long as 3 hours in a row.
- Snow and ice removal as needed.
- Give accurate and updated information about the rink, daily session times, and other activities offered at Mohonk.
- Maintain a clean Pavilion shop area – including shop appearance, cleaning skates and helmets, stocking the cooler and candy.
- Detect and eliminate/reduce potential hazards from and around the facility and on the ice surface, performing safety checks on equipment being used.
- Sell merchandise and drinks.
- Answer phones (with correct greeting) and retrieve voicemails with capability of taking precise written notes/ messages.
- Operate POS cash register, record allocations of skate usage, differentiate the denominations of U.S. currency and coins, and make change in a timely manner during a transaction.
- Coordinate completion of the winter sports waiver and give a completed waiver card to overnight guests.
- Cash out at the end of the shift and turn in money and receipts, making sure to record loss/gain and that the bank is accurate.
- Deal calmly and pleasantly with guests while under pressure.
- Handle adversity, change and emergency situations calmly and with a level head.
- Balance student’s weight during the half hour lesson.
- Embrace and apply Mohonk Mountain House Service Standards with Service Strategies.
- Work evenings, weekends and holidays and an ever changing schedule including split shifts.
- Exercise good disciplinary and interpersonal skills.
- Manipulate sports equipment.
- Inspect the work of others by touch, sight, sound and smell for conformance to prescribed standards.
- Speak, read and write the English language and communicate in a clear and congenial manner, with our guests, visitors and employees. Hear verbal instructions, directions and warnings.
- Reach with hands and arms, bend, kneel, stoop, twist and flex arms, walk up and down stairs/inclines, sit, climb up/down ladders or stand for up to 5 hours at a time.
- Lift up to 75 pounds from ground level to waist level and carry a distance of up to 100 feet with/ without assistance. Walk up to 7 miles per day.
- Maneuver carts or dollies safely with loads up to 200 pounds up and down stairs, elevators, through passageways or outdoors up to 100 feet.
- See close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Analyze problems and develop and implement action plans to address problems.
- Work in a manner that will not endanger self or others.
- Clearly communicate results of efforts, problem resolution steps, and completed tasks verbally and in writing.
- Write concisely and legibly.
- At least 18 years of age
- Valid Driver’s License
- Previous coaching/teaching experience in skating program preferred.
- Standard CPR/First Aid training preferred
- Prior experience in a customer service position preferred.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.