Server: Part Time Year Round
BASIC FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Provide prompt, courteous service to the dining guests of the Mohonk Mountain House for breakfast, lunch, dinner and special functions according to the standards set by Management.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Work in coordination with kitchen staff and other dining room staff ensuring the efficient operation of the restaurant.
- Learn standard menu items so that you can describe them to the guest in detail and answer any questions they may have.
- Provide recommendations and suggestions aimed at enhancing the satisfaction of diners- such as recommendations about wine pairings.
- Open wine bottles and champagne table-side with waiter’s corkscrew, and present to guests.
- Take and receive food and beverage orders from guest and serve in an efficient, timely and professional manner following the established sequence of service.
- Enter guest orders in a POS with the ability to enter special requests such as dietary restrictions, allergies, etc.
- Anticipate guest needs and meet them before you are asked to.
- Answer guest questions with accurate information and demonstrate a friendly and helpful personality by smiling, eye contact, initiating conversation and engaging with others.
- Negotiate stairs up and down while carrying full trays.
- Work under crowded and noisy conditions and to navigate around guests with loaded trays.
- Handle dishes and glassware carefully.
- Provide proper service while serving wines and champagne, and have thorough knowledge of cocktails, spirits, and beer- including local selections.
- Set and reset tables with linen, silverware, dishware, and glassware.
- Mark silverware with each course.
- Clean before, during and after service, maintaining high standards of cleanliness. Store food in accordance with safe food-handling procedures.
- Assist in the set up and breakdown of special functions.
- Work productively and efficiently with or without supervision when performing routine tasks.
- Assume responsibility for all Mohonk Mountain House equipment and supplies. Use caution to prevent loss and abuse of Mohonk Mountain House property.
- Adhere to Mohonk Mountain House’s Dress and Grooming Standards; present a neat, clean and well-groomed appearance and maintain a positive, professional image to our customers.
- Inspect work by touch, sight, sound and smell for conformance to prescribed standards of cleanliness.
- Speak, read, and write in English and communicate in a clear and congenial manner, with our guests, visitors and employees. Hear verbal instructions, directions and warnings.
- Reach with hands and arms, bend, kneel, stoop, twist and flex arms, walk up and down stairs/inclines, sit, and stand for up to 5 hours at a time.
- Lift up to 50 lbs from ground level to waist height, and from waist height to shoulder height, and carry up to 100 feet without assistance. Walk up to 7 miles per shift.
- Maneuver carts or dollies safely with loads up to 200 pounds up and down stairs, elevators, through passageways or outdoors up to 75 yards.
- See close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Act calmly and effectively in emergency situations.
- Analyze problems and develop and implement action plans to address problems.
- Wear Mohonk Mountain House approved safety shoes, and proper safety equipment when performing tasks that recommend such equipment.
- Learn and retain knowledge of historical facts and information about Mohonk Mountain House.
- Learn and successfully demonstrate the Mohonk Mountain House Service Steps with Service Strategies with guests and staff.
- Maintain a flexible work schedule including days/nights, overnights, weekdays/weekends, holidays and during peak periods of business.
- Perform basic mathematical functions such as addition, subtraction, multiplication and division.
- Maintain confidentiality of guests’ personal information and use with discretion.
- Operate vehicles safely while driving and/or parking in compliance with Mohonk Mountain House Traffic Rules and Regulations.
- At least 18 years of age.
- Knowledge of hospitality and experience in food and beverage service.
- TIPS or other state-recognized Alcohol Awareness Training Certification preferred.
- Servsafe or other industry-recognized safe food handling certification preferred.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.