Pastry Production Supervisor: Full Time Year Round
BASIC FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Oversee the preparation and production of baked goods, pastries, breakfast pastries, and all associated pastry items for a resort serving up to 2500 meals per day, in accordance with company standards and local health regulations.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Supervise Bakery and Pastry Employees and ensure all staff are adhering to kitchen standards regarding proper uniform, service standards, food production, safety and sanitation, and morale.
- Requisition food materials daily or as needed for the preparation of breakfast, lunch, and dinner services to be filled by the Receiving Department.
- Develop menus, prep lists, requisitions, photograph, costing, and new menu packets with assistance of Pastry Chef and Bakery Sous Chef.
- Maintain work spaces including stainless steel tables, equipment, dry storage shelves, walk-in refrigerators, freezer, and general sanitary condition of bake shop production and storage areas in a neat and orderly fashion.
- Wash and disinfect kitchen area, tables, tools, knives, and equipment.
- Execute on-line production of meal period.
- Monitor the quality and quantity of food that is prepared. Ensure adherence to quality expectations and standards including all assigned production.
- Prepare food according to recipes, quality standards, presentation standards, and food preparation checklist.
- Work with Pastry Chef, Bakery Sous Chef, and Restaurant Chefs on pastry menu design.
- Weigh, measure, and mix ingredients.
- Use units of measure encountered in the kitchen, and to scale units of measure up or down to accommodate various house counts.
- Operate equipment such as ovens, stoves, grills, mixers, proofers, microwaves, steamers, kettles, and fryers.
- Implement and execute dessert production on a timely basis.
- Organize and detail the work area for AM and PM dessert service.
- Check inventory and maintain par stocks, requisitioning items as needed and maintain awareness of costs/expenses.
- Carry out staff supervisory responsibilities in accordance with Mohonk policies and applicable laws including interviewing and training employees, assigning duties, appraising performance, addressing complaints, rewarding and providing discipline, and resolving problems for the AM and PM shifts. Assist in scheduling staff.
- Monitor schedule daily to minimize overtime.
- Maintain food and cooler logs.
- Ensure proper product rotation, labeling and dating of all bake shop items.
- Maintain an awareness of accurate House counts on a daily and weekly basis for menu breakdown.
- Delegate and participate in food preparation for next day's shift.
- Demonstrate flexibility in accommodating guest needs, no matter what the situation, with politeness and good manners.
- Prepare special dietary meals or substitute items.
- Stand and walk for the duration of the shift; use stairs; use hands to manipulate food knives and cooking equipment; talk and hear; taste and smell, have good vision including close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception.
- Works safely in an environment with undetermined hazard including bulky equipment, hot equipment, wet or greasy floors, etc.
- Identify safety hazards, report, and follow up to see that corrective action is taken.
- Push a food cart of 200lb up to 75 feet.
- Inspect the work of others by touch, sight, sound and smell for conformance to prescribed standards.
- Speak, read and write the English language and communicate in a clear and congenial manner including simple instructions, short correspondence, memos and recipes, with our guests, visitors and employees. Hear verbal instructions, directions and warnings.
- Stand for up to five hours at a time. Walk distances up to five miles.
- Reach with hands and arms, bend, kneel, stoop, twist and flex arms, walk up and down stairs/inclines, sit, climb up/down ladders or stand for up to 3-4 hours at a time.
- Lift up to 50 pounds from ground level to waist level and carry a distance of up to 30 feet with/ without assistance.
- Maneuver carts or dollies safely with loads up to 200 pounds through passageways up to 75 feet.
- Work additional hours beyond regularly scheduled work day (evenings and weekends) as necessary.
- Work in an environment which is regularly fast-paced and noisy, with temperatures ranging from the cold of a walk-in freezer to the high heat surrounding ovens and stoves.
- Applies common sense understanding to carry out detailed written or oral - instructions.
- Demonstrate proficiency with Windows-based operating systems and use software including MS Word, MS Excel, MS Outlook.
- Research industry trends regularly and maintain a current knowledge of common or trending practices in the industry.
- Complete safety training and certifications when offered.
- Perform basic mathematical functions such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.
- Attend shift briefings and actively participate daily.
- Adhere to Mohonk Mountain House’s Dress and Grooming Standards; presenting a neat, clean and well-groomed appearance and maintaining a positive, professional image to our customers. Practice clean and neat personal hygiene according to Kitchen standards.
- Learn and successfully demonstrate the Mohonk Mountain House Service Steps with Service Strategies with guests and staff.
- Maintain a flexible work schedule including days/nights, weekdays/weekends, holidays, and during peak periods of business.
- Develop and maintain positive working relationships with other staff.
- At least 21 years of age
- Associates Degree in Baking and Pastry Arts or 3-5 years of experience in similar operation required.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.