Cross Country Ski Instructor: Part Time Seasonal unitl 04/05/20
BASIC FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Assist the Ski Manager with meeting specific operational goals, general ski shop procedures, skiing and snowshoeing safety measures. Teach the sport of cross-country skiing in a safe and effective manner.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Maintain safe and pleasant ski environment for the guests.
- Promote Mohonk Mountain House’s unique cross-country skiing and snowshoeing experience while interacting with guests.
- Properly teach in a safe manner the various techniques of cross-country skiing outside in cold winter conditions.
- Ski up to six miles per day.
- Organize and communicate to Ski Manager all information relating to guest needs and potential skiing and snowshoeing events, conditions, problems, or concerns.
- Record and coordinate all ski lesson reservations.
- Responsible for all daily office procedures such as answering the phone, filling out conditions reports, assumption of risk forms, rental equipment sheets, utilizing voice-mail system, etc.
- Maintain a clean and orderly appearance in the Ski Shop at all times.
- Organize and maintain a useable rental system for the rental of skiing and snowshoeing equipment.
- Interact cordially and professionally with all guests and co-workers.
- Communicate clearly and effectively with the ski, skate and activities staff and all other Mohonk Mountain House service staff.
- Perform minor equipment maintenance to cross country ski rental and snowshoe rental equipment such as binding installation, pole repairs, and snowshoe rivet and decking repairs.
- Make ski and snowshoe trail recommendations to guests with safety and skier ability being the primary determining factors of each recommendation.
- Inspect trail conditions and make recommendations for usage and maintenance.
- Assist with snow maintenance removal of front and rear entrances of the Ski Shop and snow removal on the Boat Dock.
- Outgoing and friendly personality.
- Trustworthy, dependable and honest.
- Work flexible or changing days and hours.
- Work in a manner that will not endanger self or others.
- Safely operate a snow blower.
- Sell merchandise in the Ski Shop.
- Refill gas cans as needed for snowmobiles.
- Perform daily cleaning protocols.
- Work weekends and holidays when needed.
- Handle change, adversity, and pressure situations in a calm and levelheaded manner.
- Inspect the work of others by touch, sight, sound and smell for conformance to prescribed standards.
- Analyze problems and develop and implement action plans to address problems.
- Reach with hands and arms, bend, kneel, stoop, twist and flex arms, walk up and down stairs/inclines, sit, climb up/down ladders or stand for up to 5 hours at a time.
- Lift up to 50 pounds from ground level to waist level and carry a distance of up to 200 feet with/ without assistance. Walk up to 5 miles per day. Reach areas as high as 8 feet from a standing position with use of a step ladder.
- See close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Carry a two-way portable radio and earpiece to communicate and provide immediate response to emergency situations.
- Speak clearly and in front of groups of people up to 15 people.
- Performs basic mathematic calculations and cash handling skills.
- Speak, read and write the English language and communicate in a clear and congenial manner, with our guests, visitors and employees. Hear verbal instructions, directions and warnings.
- At least 18 years of age.
- Possess valid driver’s license.
- Possess competent skills of cross-country skiing.
- CPR and First Aid Certification preferred.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.