Activities Leader: Seasonal 5/18 - 9/7
BASIC FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITES:
Leads and supervises guest recreation activities and recreation areas. Promotes guest participation in House Activities and socializations amongst fellow guests to maximize guest enjoyment during their visit to Mohonk Mountain House and its environment.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Lead activities to ensure social interaction amongst the guests and to ensure a happy and safe environment.
- Use a PC to process payment and implementation of data into a software program
- Prepare materials and supplies for each activity.
- Program and plan activities for any time of the year.
- Participate in the planning and execution of special events (4th of July, Barnival, Christmas, Thanksgiving, Easter, and President’s Week)
- Demonstrate patience with children (age 2-17) and adults.
- Supervise up to 12 children per activity.
- Lead Arts and Crafts classes.
- Participate in the planning and execution of special events and holidays.
- Lead hikes, rock scrambles, snowshoe walks, and XC ski tours up to 5 miles.
- Lead snow tubing.
- Lead guests on a daily guided mountain bike ride up to 8 miles.
- Run sport tournaments and games. (Softball, croquet, volleyball, putting & etc.)
- Handle adversity, change and emergency situations calmly and with a level head.
- Rock scramble safely and negotiate and maneuver between tight spaces.
- Speak clearly to groups of 1-30 people.
- Use good natural or corrected vision to see any safety hazards. Identify safety hazards by sight, sound, and/or smell. Ensure hazards are corrected.
- Hear oral/auditory directions, instructions or warnings and give same warnings to others.
- Manipulate personal floatation devices (PFDs) and Shepard’s crook.
- Work in a manner that will not endanger self or others.
- Manipulate sports equipment.
- Memorize a history tour of the grounds, trails, and story of Mohonk and the Smiley Family.
- Creative mind with a good imagination.
- Demonstrate good disciplinary and interpersonal skills.
- Work productively and efficiently with or without supervision when performing routine tasks.Work in a manner that will not endanger self or others.
- Work the areas of Activities on a regular basis, such as: Wheelworks Bike Shop, Boat Dock, Information Summerhouse, Tennis, Campfires, and special events. (See individual job descriptions)
- Demonstrate comfortableness with lake ecology such as: inability to see the bottom of 60’ deep, snakes, frogs, turtles, and fish in size of approximately 11-20 inches.
- Work flexible or changing days and hours; including days, nights, weekends, holidays, and occasionally up to 14 hours per shift.
- Bend, stoop, reach, climb, carry, and lift up to 75 pounds consistently throughout an eight-hour work day.
- Present a neat, clean, and well-groomed appearance in accordance with the Mohonk Mountain House Dress and Grooming Standards.
- Demonstrate knowledge and appreciation of nature and the outdoors
- Answer guest questions with accurate information and demonstrate a friendly and helpful personality by smiling, eye contact, initiating conversation and engaging with others.
- Carry a two-way portable radio and earpiece to communicate and provide immediate response to emergency situations
- Experience or potential in a people-oriented job or potential for success in a people-oriented job preferred.
- At least 18 years old.
- Valid driver’s license.
- CPR/First Aid certification strongly preferred.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.