Children's Youth Supervisor; Full time year round
BASIC FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Kids/Youth Supervisor is responsible for the operation, administration and coordination of the Kids/Youth Department. Kids/Youth Department consists of the Tykes’, Children’s and Teen Programs. Assists the Activities Manager and Activities Supervisors with seasonal and special events. May oversee the Activities Department in the absence of the Activities Manager.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Organize programs, schedules, and direct all tykes, kids’ & teen activity events.
- Use a PC to process payment and implementation of data into a software program
- Assist and support holiday events within the Activities Department including 4th of July Events, Halloween, Kids Stay Free, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year’s, President’s Week, and Easter Week.
- Plan and facilitate themed days and weekends throughout the year.
- Responsible for training, coaching, and evaluating performance of all staff within the Activities Department.
- Assist with the scheduling of daily staff for Kids/Youth events.
- Work with the Activities Manager to prepare and administrate the budget (revenue, expense, and labor) and reforecast for the Kids/Youth Department.
- Work the sales and catering system to block space required for Kids/Youth events.
- Interact regularly with other department heads and staff regarding upcoming functions and events.
- Enter Kids/Youth events in the Daily Activities Schedule.
- Produce Kids/Youth Daily Activities Schedules.
- Work with sales and coordination departments developing and providing private Kids/Youth programming as needed.
- Maintain the Kids’ Bulletin Boards.
- Make recommendations for facilities and equipment purchases and assist Activities Manager in long range planning.
- Adhere to Mohonk Mountain House grooming and dress standards at all times and ensure staff that report to you do as well.
- Adhere to Mohonk Mountain House policies and procedures at all times and ensure staff that report to you do as well.
- Make self readily available to guests and demonstrate ability to deal calmly and pleasantly with guests while under pressure.
- Maintain an awareness of industry trends and local recreational offerings.
- Demonstrate an outgoing and friendly personality such as smiling, initiating conversation, engaging others, and making eye contact.
- Handle adversity, change and emergency situations calmly and with a level head.
- Analyze problems and develop and implement action plans to address problems.
- See close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Identify safety hazards and inspect the work of others by sight, sound, and/or smell. Ensure hazards are corrected.
- Work flexible or changing days and hours; including days, nights, weekends, holidays, and occasionally up to 14 hours per shift.
- Reach with hands and arms, bend, kneel, stoop, twist and flex arms, walk up and down stairs/inclines, sit, climb up/down ladders or stand for up to 5 hours at a time.
- Lift up to 75 pounds from ground level to waist level and carry a distance of up to 75 feet with/ without assistance. Walk up to 7 miles per day.
- Work in a manner that will not endanger self or others.
- Work other areas of Activities on a regular basis, such as: Wheelworks Bike Shop, Boat Dock, Information Summerhouse, Tennis, Campfires, and special events.
- Demonstrate knowledge and appreciation of nature and the outdoors
- Manipulate personal floatation devices (PFDs) and Shepard’s crook.
- Lead activities to ensure social interaction amongst the guests and to ensure a happy and safe environment.
- Demonstrate comfortableness with lake ecology such as: inability to see the bottom of 60’ deep, snakes, frogs, turtles, and fish in size of approximately 11-20 inches.
- Organize and oversee snow tubing for children.
- Prepare materials and supplies for each activity.
- Lead hikes, rock scrambles, snowshoe walks, mountain biking tours and XC ski tours between 2 and 15 miles.
- Speak clearly to groups of 1-200 people.
- Speak, read and write the English language and communicate in a clear and congenial manner, with our guests, visitors and employees. Hear verbal instructions, directions and warnings.
- Manipulate sports equipment.
- Memorize a history tour of the grounds, trails, and story of Mohonk and the Smiley Family.
- Maintain creativity and continually research new ideas and concepts for kids’ programs.
- Run sport tournaments and games. (Softball, croquet, volleyball, putting & etc.)
- Demonstrate patience with children (age 2-17) and adults.
- Supervise up to 12 children per activity.
- Lead Arts and Crafts classes.
- Carries a two-way portable radio and earpiece to communicate and provide immediate response to emergency situations
- BS Degree in Sports Management, Recreation, Education or similar field. In lieu of degree 3-5 years of proven work history in a Recreation setting with increasing responsibility.
- Minimum of 2 years supervisory experience.
- Valid driver’s license.
- CPR/First Aid strongly preferred.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.