Host: Part Time Year Round
BASIC FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Dining Room Seating Host greets guests in a warm, friendly and sincere manner and escorts them to their table. They assist the Head Host with reservations and seating arrangements as well as relay pertinent information regarding guest requests to servers and management.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Greet guests, escort guests at their pace to table, pull seat out for the ladies, retrieve highchairs/boosters as necessary, inform/introduce guest of server’s name, and present menus and/or describe service process (i.e. buffet).
- Collect menus, inspect for cleanliness, recycle soiled menus, and organize reusable menus.
- Thank departing guests for dining at restaurant and offer an appropriate farewell.
- Communicate information accurately between Head Host/Management and server/server assistant.
- Take orders from guests for trail lunches, special occasion desserts, decorations and follow through on requests.
- Complete various opening duties- cleaning of public area, recycling paper, disposal of garbage, sanitizing high chairs and booster seats, lighting of fire in MDR fireplace, updating dining and activity sheet displays, etc.
- Bus tables and reset tables when necessary.
- Monitor table status and inform Head Host of table availability.
- Record data, including server counts, meal reports, and other information pertaining to guests free of errors and omissions.
- Inspect and organize tables and stations as well as label.
- Answer the phone in accordance with Mohonk Mountain House standards.
- Accept reservations by taking the following information: name of the guests, time, number of people in the party and contact information as well as Credit Card number if appropriate.
- Learn and demonstrate knowledge of operating hours of all food and beverage outlets, as well as other services available in the resort.
- Answer guest questions with accurate information and demonstrate a friendly and helpful personality by smiling, making eye contact, initiating conversation and engaging with others.
- Prepare a seating assignment before each meal period, considering special requests of guests and preferred needs of regular guests. Present this to all restaurant staff in the pre-shift meeting. Advise manager of any VIP’s.
- Handle any guest requests or complaints within reason or refers to Manager on shift if needed.
- Maintain work area in a professional manner. Ensure that noise levels in all areas are kept to a minimum.
- Operate computer to type and revise documents; compile material to be typed.
- Read instructions accompanying material, or follows verbal instructions from supervisor or person requesting document, to determine format desired, number of copies needed, priority, and other requirements.
- Verify totals on report forms, requisitions, or bills.
- Photocopies, scans, faxes, emails or mails correspondences.
- Demonstrate proficiency with Windows-based operating systems and use software including MS Word and MS Excel.
- See close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Speak, read, and write in English and communicate in a clear and congenial manner, with our guests, visitors and employees. Hear verbal instructions, directions and warnings.
- Reach with hands and arms, bend, kneel, stoop, twist and flex arms, walk up and down stairs/inclines, sit, and stand for up to 5 hours at a time.
- Inspect the work of others by touch, sight, sound and smell for conformance to prescribed standards.
- Lift up to 50 lbs from ground level to waist height, and from waist height to shoulder height, and carry up to 100 feet without assistance. Walk up to 7 miles per shift.
- Act calmly and effectively in emergency situations.
- Analyze problems and develop and implement action plans to address problems.
- Adhere to Mohonk Mountain House’s Dress and Grooming Standards; present a neat, clean and well-groomed appearance and maintain a positive, professional image to our customers.
- Wear Mohonk Mountain House approved safety shoes, and proper safety equipment when performing tasks that recommend such equipment.
- Learn and retain knowledge of historical facts and information about Mohonk Mountain House.
- Maintain a flexible work schedule including days/nights, overnights, weekdays/weekends, holidays and during peak periods of business.
- Perform basic mathematical skills including addition, subtraction, multiplication, division and perform and record cash/credit transactions accurately.
- Must be at least 17 years of age.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.