Sous Chef Tournant: Full Time Year Round
BASIC FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBLITIES:
Responsible for the preparation of fresh and wholesome meals for a hotel with a 600 overnight guest and 500 day guest capacity, ensuring smooth operation, proper sanitation, and sound management of multiple Weddings, Banquets. Act as relief PM Sous Chef as scheduled.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Assume responsibility for the overall production of hot foods associated with banquets, weddings, and receptions. Conduct tastings.
- Execute menus with complete oversight of kitchen set up, plate up, and delivery of hot foods related to banquet event according to Banquet Event Orders.
- Communicate effectively with Wedding Coordinators throughout the planning and execution of events.
- Carry out supervisory responsibilities for a staff up to 20 in accordance with Mohonk Mountain House policies. Interview, hire and train employees; plan, assign, and direct work; appraise performance; reward and coach/counsel/discipline employees; address complaints. Monitor schedule daily to minimize overtime.
- Work with the Chef and Executive Sous Chef to ensure all products are ordered for the banquet event. Work with purchasing to ensure any additional products outside of normal dining operations are ordered and used as required.
- Requisition food materials daily or as needed for the preparation of breakfast, lunch, and dinner services to be filled by the Receiving Department.
- Oversee kitchen and coordinate all hot food preparations for lunch and dinner banquets, ensuring food is presented in accordance with company specifications. Delegate banquet prep work load for Garde Manger crew.
- Learn, retain, and demonstrate a full knowledge and understanding of all menu offerings.
- Prepare and cook food according to recipes, quality standards, presentation standards, and food preparation checklist. Ensure proper portion, arrangement, and food garnish. Test foods ensure the correctness of the temperature of food.
- Prepare special dietary meals or substitute items.
- Maintain work spaces including stainless steel tables, equipment, dry storage shelves, walk-in refrigerators, upright freezer, and general sanitary condition of garde manger and vegetable prep area in a neat and orderly fashion.
- Provide relief coverage for PM Sous Chef. Execute on-line production of meal period and ensure all food product is used as effectively as possible. Monitor house counts on a daily and weekly basis for proper menu breakdown. Delegate and participate in food preparation for next day's shift.
- Demonstrate advanced knife handling skills and familiar with kitchen equipment and machines.
- Work on the line under time constraints, extreme temperatures, and high business volume.
- Bake, roast, broil, and steam meats, fish, vegetables, and other foods. Weigh, measure, and mix ingredients. Maintain an awareness of and minimize costs/expenses.
- Check the working condition of equipment and machinery in accordance with specifications.
- Operate and regulate temperatures of equipment such as ovens, stoves, grills, microwaves, steamers, kettles, and fryers.
- Meet with Food and Beverage managers to discuss daily services and special functions.
- Analyze problems and develop and implement action plans to address problems. Report to the Executive Chef.
- Facilitate/attend shift briefings and actively participate daily.
- Inspect the work of others by touch, sight, sound, taste and smell for conformance to prescribed standards
- Maintain confidentiality of proprietary information; protect company assets.
- Offer consistently professional, friendly and proactive guest service while supporting fellow colleagues. Assist all staff in a professional manner ensuring our guest service is in accordance with company standards. Maintain good working relationships with coworkers, guests, and managers.
- Research industry trends regularly and maintain a current knowledge of common or trending practices in the industry. Maintain a knowledge of local, state, federal health and employment laws.
- Inventory and maintain equipment and supplies, initiate purchases, and safeguard equipment and supplies.
- Work clean and assume responsibility for kitchen organization and orderliness. Clean and scrutinize work stations periodically during work shift ensuring the cleanliness and maintenance of all work areas, utensils, and equipment.
- Follow kitchen policies, procedures and service standards. Follow all safety and sanitation policies when handling food and beverage. Handle hot items with care.
- Maintain food and cooler logs. Keep refrigerators and storerooms clean and neat. Ensure food and supply items are stored per standards. Ensure proper rotation of product in all refrigerators to minimize wastage/spoilage.
- Complete safety training and certifications when offered.
- Lift up to 50 pounds from ground level to waist height and carries a distance of up to 100 feet with/ without assistance. Walk up to 5 miles per day.
- Maneuver carts or dollies safely with loads up to 200 pounds up and down stairs, elevators, through passageways or outdoors up to 75 feet.
- See close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Identify safety hazards, report, and follow up to see that corrective action is taken. Inform Executive Chef, Executive Sous Chef of hazardous situations, emergencies or threats to the security of guests, employees or hotel assets.
- Reach with hands and arms, bend, kneel, stoop, twist and flex arms, walk up and down stairs/inclines, sit, climb up/down ladders or stand for up to 5 hours at a time.
- Speak, read and write the English language and communicate in a clear and congenial manner, with our guests, visitors and employees. Hear verbal instructions, directions and warnings.
- Perform basic mathematical functions with recipes such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.
- Prepare administrative reports in a clear, logical manner.
- Demonstrate proficiency with Windows-based operating systems and use software including MS Word, MS Excel, MS Outlook.
- Adhere to Mohonk Mountain House’s Dress and Grooming Standards; presenting a neat, clean and well-groomed appearance and maintaining a positive, professional image to our customers.
- Learn and successfully demonstrate the Mohonk Mountain House Service Steps with Service Strategies with guests and staff.
- Maintain a flexible work schedule including days/nights, weekdays/weekends, holidays, and during peak periods of business.
- At least 21 years of age.
- Valid Driver’s License
- Associates degree in Culinary Arts from accredited culinary school or 5-7 years experience in similar operation.
- Certified in food service sanitation practices and prevention of food borne illnesses.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.