Wine Steward: Part Time Year Round
BASIC FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Establish direct contact with dining room guests by greeting and providing answers to questions about wine, offering selections for wine and food pairings to accompany dinner menus, and assisting in proper table service for wine by pouring according to established procedures as well as assisting in the purchasing, storing, distribution, and overall maintenance of the wine list.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Comprehend and abide by New York State Alcohol Beverage Control laws as well as Mohonk Mountain House alcohol beverage policies.
- Make a reasonable effort as required by the laws of New York State to prevent alcohol service to minors, prevent intoxication in guests, and intervene if a guest becomes visibly intoxicated.
- Learn and disseminate a wide range of knowledge concerning wines, beers and other beverages (varieties, vineyards, producers, history, vintages, method of production, tastes and flavors, percentage of pure alcohol, food pairings, storage) and proper glassware, garnishes, and equipment needs.
- Engage guests, visit tables, take wine order, confirm during order-taking and upon presentation of wine, serve wine tableside in an expert manner including proper pouring and decanting technique.
- Describe characteristics and descriptions of every wine and beverage on the wine list.
- Open all wine/sparkling wine bottles with ease regardless of the difficulty of corks, openers, size of bottle, etc. Open wine bottles with use of a corkscrew and sparkling wine by hand.
- Drive sales at all times, keeping in mind the taste preference and budget parameters of the guest, using suggestive selling techniques.
- Remain organized and politely attend to the needs of multiple guests at one time by prioritizing and managing time effectively.
- Assist the Beverage Manager with planning and hosting tastings and special functions.
- Conduct wine classes and tastings for guests as needed or requested.
- Provide regularly scheduled classes on wines and other alcohol products for staff in the Dining Room, Room Service, and Beverage Departments.
- Maintain a personal physical presence in the dining rooms during dinner and assist servers or guests with any questions regarding beverage service.
- Monitor and use correct product pricing, shelf tags and signage.
- Maintain neat and organized condition of all wine storage areas.
- Ensure that restaurant wine glassware and decanters are at par, available, and clean.
- Assist with wine ordering and wine inventories as directed by Beverage Manager.
- Demonstrate proficiency with Windows-based operating systems and use software including MS Word, MS Excel, MS Outlook.
- Prepare and update short explanations or definitions for each wine on our wine list to be used as a table-side reference
- Research industry trends regularly and maintain a current knowledge of common or trending practices in the industry.
- Demonstrate organizational skills, proofreading skills, and produce well-written, error-free copies.
- Work productively with or without supervision when performing routine tasks and cohesively as part of a team
- Perform basic mathematical skills including addition, subtraction, multiplication, division and perform and record cash/credit transactions accurately.
- Recommend changes or improvements in all aspects of food and beverage operations.
- Meet and exceed revenue goals and guest expectations.
- Adhere to Mohonk Mountain House’s Dress and Grooming Standards; presenting a neat, clean and well-groomed appearance and maintaining a positive, professional image to our customers. Wear approved footwear.
- Learn and successfully demonstrate the Mohonk Mountain House Service Steps with Service Strategies with guests and staff.
- Learn and retain knowledge of historical facts and information about Mohonk Mountain House.
- Maintain a flexible work schedule including days/nights, overnights, weekdays/weekends, holidays, and during peak periods of business.
- Inform supervisor of hazardous situations, emergencies or threats to the security of guests, employees or hotel assets.
- Secure and protect all alcoholic beverages as well as other company assets.
- Adhere to Mohonk Mountain House safety and security regulations.
- Work in refrigerated coolers.
- Listen well, communicate effectively and establish effective working relationships with other staff, management, vendors and guests that have a variety of educational backgrounds and values.
- Speak, read, and write the English language and communicate in a clear and congenial manner, with our guests, visitors, and employees. Hear verbal instructions, directions and warnings
- Reach with hands and arms, bend, kneel, stoop, twist, and flex arms, walk up and down stairs/inclines, sit climb up/down ladders or stand for up to 3-4 hours at a time
- Maneuver carts or dollies safely with loads up to 250 pounds and down stairs, elevators, through passageways or outdoors up to 25 yards.
- Lift up to 40 pounds from ground level to waist level and carry a distance of up to 250 feet with/ without assistance. Walk up to 10 miles per day.
- See close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Taste sweet, sour, bitter, and salty and demonstrate a sense of smell.
- At least 21 years of age
- Valid driver’s license
- 5-7 years of previous wine steward or bartending experience required.
- TIPS or other state-recognized Alcohol Awareness Training Certification preferred.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.