Assistant Front Office Manager
BASIC FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Assistant Front Office Manager is directly responsible for overseeing the day-to-day operations of the Front Office including: the Front Desk, the Switchboard, the Overnight Audit, and the Postal Services when the Front Office Manager is unavailable. Provides support to line staff directly with training to create and foster a strong team. The ideal candidate would be courteous, self-motivated, and detail-oriented, with a focus on leadership for the line staff, filling in when necessary.
Essential Job Functions:
- Oversees a staff of 15-20 employees.
- Learns and maintains knowledge of all room detail including types, numbers, layout, décor, and locations.
- Learns and maintains knowledge all room rates, promotions, special packages, hotel features/services, and hours of operation.
- Monitors daily house counts, room availability, arrivals, and departures.
- Monitors scheduled transient and group activities/functions.
- Reconciles billing.
- Makes reservations when necessary.
- Complies with resort and departmental policies and procedures.
- Provides the highest level of guest satisfaction, creates an efficient, warm, and welcoming environment for Mohonk Mountain House guests.
- Identifies weak areas of operation and efficiencies, and sees that they are corrected.
- Represents the Front Office at various administrative and management meetings and communicates valuable information from those meetings back to the Front Office Manager and staff.
- Interfaces closely and professionally with other department managers and staff including, but not limited to: Housekeeping, Conference Planning, Guest Services, Engineering, Activities/Entertainment, and Sales.
- Provides support to line staff, adheres to the same work polices in performing all functions and jobs in the Front Office including: Front Desk, Switchboard, Post Office and Overnight Clerk.
- Responds immediately to guest complaints and problems in a professional and courteous manner to ensure customer satisfaction.
- Promotes a cohesive team spirit within the Front Office.
- Monitors all administrative functions of Front Desk, Switchboard, Overnight Audit, and Post Office.
- Develops and implements new guidelines and procedures for Front Desk, Switchboard, Overnight Clerk, and Post Office areas. Provides training and coaching to all staff.
- Schedules all Front Office staff weekly and monitors vacation time and coverage for staff.
- Learns and demonstrates knowledge of payroll processes for the Front Office staff.
- Monitors and maintains inventory of office supplies and places orders via ADACO purchasing software for new supplies when needed within budgeted guidelines.
- Conducts interviews and recommends hires based on qualifications required.
- Evaluates the performance of Front Office staff and completes annual appraisals.
- Learns and maintains knowledge of telephone software for accommodating telephone needs along with in-house telephone administrative directory.
- Enjoys helping people in a service-oriented position and has good interpersonal skills.
- Works well under pressure and maintains a professional and calm demeanor.
- Maintains a professional, neat, and well-groomed appearance during work shifts.
- Inspect the work of others by touch, sight, sound and smell for conformance to prescribed standards.
- Adapts to changing priorities and able to change focus quickly to make clear and concise decisions.
- Delegate duties to staff and monitors progress.
- Maintains a flexible work schedule including days/nights, overnights, weekdays/weekends, holidays, and during peak periods of business.
- Reaches with hands and arms, bends, kneels, stoops, twists and flexes arms, walks up and down stairs/inclines, sits, climbs up/down ladders or stands for up to 5 hours at a time.
- Speaks, reads and writes the English language and communicates in a clear and congenial manner, with our guests, visitors and employees. Hears verbal instructions, directions and warnings.
- Demonstrates proficiency with Windows-based operating systems and uses software including MS Word, MS Excel, MS Outlook.
- Lifts up to 20 lbs. (brochure, folio paper, registration card, and envelope boxes) from ground level to waist level and carries a distance of up to 50 feet with or without assistance. Walk up to 3 miles a day.
- Works in office setting subject to continuous interruptions and background noises.
- Works extended periods of time viewing a computer video monitor and/ or operating a keyboard.
- Sees close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Acts calmly and effectively in emergency situations.
- Analyzes problems and develops and implements action plans to address problems.
- Valid Driver’s License
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Minimum 2 years in the Hotel industry
- Previous supervisory experience
- Degree in Hotel/Hospitality preferred
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.