Bartender - Seasonal (through 10/31/2017)
BASIC FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Prepares and serves beverages and/or food to guests in a friendly, courteous and timely and manner, resulting in guest satisfaction. Prepares beverages for other servers to supply to guests, and act as cashier for the outlet.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Perform a variety of tasks related to beverage service, including the control and limit of waste, and the filling out of requisitions as needed.
- Maintain proper and adequate set-up of bar. This includes requisitioning and stocking of all beer, wine, spirits, glassware, paper products, straws and stirrers, condiments and produce based on projections from the daily functions sheet and transporting required items from storage area to appropriate work station.
- Maintain stock, cut, and store all fresh fruit and vegetable garnishes, juices and other perishables daily to insure product quality.
- Greets guests in a courteous and friendly manner, promote and document orders for drinks. Mix, garnish and present drinks using standard ingredient recipes and practicing prudent portion control.
- Input orders into the point of sale and create a check for each guest, to maintain accountability of all beverages served. Ensure proper check handling and posting procedures (including handling of cash transactions).
- Receive cash from guests, make change as needed, verify validity of charges, record charges, and insure vouchers are properly executed, in order to balance all monies.
- Maintain confidentiality of guest’ personal information and use with discretion.
- Lock up and store all beverage, food and other equipment items, deposit cash drops and secure bank.
- Maintain complete knowledge of and strictly abide by New York State Alcohol Beverage Control Laws as well as Mohonk Mountain House Mountain House Alcohol Beverage Policy.
- Maintain complete knowledge of all beverage items, method of preparation, garnish, and method of presentation, as well as equipment and tools.
- Provide recommendations and suggestions aimed at enhancing the satisfaction of diners- such as recommendations about wine pairings.
- Open wine bottles and champagne table-side with waiter’s corkscrew, and present to guests.
- Negotiate stairs up and down while carrying full trays.
- Work under crowded and noisy conditions and to navigate around guests with loaded trays.
- Provide proper service while serving wines and champagne, and have thorough knowledge of cocktails, spirits, and beer- including local selections.
- Ensure all guests that are served or who consume alcohol are at least 21 years of age. Check photo identifications of any guests whose age is questionable.
- Make a reasonable effort within the guidelines of the law to prevent intoxication in guests, prevent the serving of alcoholic beverages to underage minors, or serving alcoholic beverages to guests who are visibly intoxicated.
- Provide food service to Carriage Lounge and Spirits on the Sunset customers as required and remain up-to-date on menu offerings and service standards.
- Complete opening and closing side duties as assigned.
- Maintain standards of cleanliness for all bar areas as established by supervisor.
- Take responsibility for Mohonk Mountain House Mountain House equipment and supplies. Prevent loss or abuse.
- Think clearly and maintain good coordination while providing swift beverage service to guests.
- Remain organized and politely attend to the needs of multiple guests at one time. Prioritize and manage time effectively.
- Perform basic mathematical skills including addition, subtraction, multiplication, division and perform and record cash/credit transactions accurately.
- Follow management’s instructions and suggestions – verbal as well as written.
- Work productively and efficiently with or without supervision when performing routine tasks. Work independently and cohesively as part of the team.
- Adhere to Mohonk Mountain House’s Dress and Grooming Standards; presenting a neat, clean and well-groomed appearance and maintaining a positive, professional image to our customers. Wear required footwear as approved by Food and Beverage Department standards.
- Learn and successfully demonstrate the Mohonk Mountain House Service Steps with Service Strategies with guests and staff.
- Learn and retain knowledge of historical facts and information about Mohonk Mountain House.
- Maintain a flexible work schedule including days/nights, weekdays/weekends, holidays, and during peak periods of business.
- Develop and maintain positive working relationships with other staff.
- Answer guest questions with accurate information and demonstrate a friendly and helpful personality by smiling, eye contact, initiating conversation and engaging with others.
- Work in a manner that will not endanger self or others.
- Adhere to all of Mohonk Mountain House Mountain House Mountain House safety and security regulations.
- Operate vehicles safely while driving and/or parking in compliance with Mohonk Mountain House Traffic Rules and Regulations.
- Inspect work by touch, sight, sound and smell for conformance to prescribed standards.
- Speak, read and write the English language and communicate in a clear and congenial manner, with our guests, visitors and employees. Hear verbal instructions, directions and warnings.
- Reach with hands and arms, bend, kneel, stoop, twist and flex arms, walk up and down stairs/inclines, sit, climb up/down ladders or stand for up to 5 hours at a time.
- Lift up to 50 pounds from ground level to counter and carries a distance of up to 200 feet with/ without assistance. Walk up to 7 miles per day.
- Maneuver carts or dollies safely with loads up to 350 pounds up and down stairs, elevators, through passageways or outdoors up to 200 feet/yards.
- See close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Act calmly and effectively in emergency situations.
- Analyze problems and develop and implement action plans to address problems.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Minimum 18 years old.
- Previous bartending and wine service experience.
- TIPS or other state-recognized Alcohol Awareness Training Certification preferred
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.