Rustic Helper; Seasonal until 11/23
BASIC FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Responsible for constructing, erecting, repairing, and maintaining fences, gates, summerhouses, benches and other rustic and non-rustic structures. Maintains other buildings, facilities, equipment and pathways throughout the Mohonk Mountain House property.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Maintain and construct rustic structures (fences, railings, docks, stairs, summerhouses, etc) throughout Mohonk Mountain House property.
- Establish the location for a fence or rustic structure, gather information needed to ensure that there are no electric cables or water lines in the area.
- Align posts, using lines or by sighting, and verify vertical alignment of posts, using plumb bobs or spirit levels.
- Measure work site dimensions, lay out fence lines and mark posthole positions, following instructions, drawings, or specifications.
- Dig holes, postholes, or trenches using spades, posthole diggers, or power-driven augers.
- Set metal or wooden posts in upright positions in postholes.
- Mix and pour concrete around bases of posts, or tamp soil into postholes to embed posts.
- Make rails for fences, by sawing lumber or by cutting metal tubing to required lengths.
- Stretch wire, wire mesh, or chain link fencing between posts, and attach fencing to frames.
- Attach fence rail supports to posts, using hammers and pliers, impact drivers, and other hand tools as needed.
- Assemble gates, and fasten gates into position, using hand and/or power tools.
- Construct and repair summerhouses, barriers, pedestrian bridges, benches, retaining walls, trellises, and other types of fences, walls, and gates.
- Safely operate and maintain all types of power and hand tools of the trade including but not limited to chainsaws, log splitters, circular saws, sanders, paint sprayers, drills, impact drivers, utility carts, hammers, chisels, clippers, etc.
- Operate heavy equipment, trucks, tractors, trailers, and build and repair roads, trails, fences, etc.
- Maintain drainage system, repair culverts and walls with hand and power tools.
- Mow roadsides and fields using trimmers and/or tractor mowers.
- Repair and refinish rowboats, both wooden and metal as needed.
- Maintain, diagnose, trouble shoot, and repair existing or new systems and equipment, when needed, as directed by the Rustic Foreman.
- Clearly communicate results of efforts, problem resolution steps, and completed tasks verbally and in writing.
- Identify and list components of installations requiring preventive maintenance.
- Read and comprehend technical manuals and diagrams.
- Drive automatic and standard transmission vehicles in a safe and legal manner.
- Cut, fell, and clear trees and transport lumber/ logs as needed.
- Cut, split, handle, stack, and deliver firewood.
- Load/unload bales of hay.
- Work at heights up to 200 feet.
- Work in tight, enclosed, confined spaces.
- Use two hands to lift carries, examine and manipulate objects.
- Work in manner that will not endanger self or others.
- Learn and utilize new methods, materials, procedures, and systems.
- Maintain a pleasant personality under trying conditions and circumstances to our customers and co-workers alike.
- Work productively and efficiently with or without supervision when performing routine tasks.
- Adhere to Mohonk Mountain House’s Dress and Grooming Standards; presenting a neat, clean and well-groomed appearance within the limitations of the work and maintain a positive, professional image to our customers.
- Learn and successfully demonstrate the Mohonk Mountain House Service Steps with Service Strategies with guests and staff.
- Learn and retain knowledge of historical facts and information about Mohonk Mountain House.
- Maintain a flexible work schedule including days/nights, overnights, weekdays/weekends, holidays, and during peak periods of business. Available on short notice to perform emergency repairs as needed.
- Develop and maintain positive working relationships with other staff.
- Inspect work by touch, sight, sound and smell for conformance to prescribed standards.
- Speak, read and write the English language and communicate in a clear and congenial manner, with our guests, visitors and employees. Hear verbal instructions, directions and warnings.
- Reach with hands and arms, bend, kneel, stoop, twist and flex arms, walk up and down stairs/inclines, sit, climb up/down ladders or stand for up to 5 hours at a time.
- Lift up to 75 pounds from ground level to shoulder level and carry a distance of up to 30 feet with/without assistance. Walk up to 15 miles per day.
- Lift and throw bales of hay weighing as much as 75 pounds a distance of up to 12 feet.
- Maneuver carts, dollies, and/or wheelbarrows safely with loads up to 200 pounds up and down stairs/inclines, through passageways or outdoors over rough terrain for up to a distance of 250 feet.
- Perform basic mathematical functions such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.
- See close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Act calmly and effectively in emergency situations.
- Analyze problems and develop and implement action plans to address problems.
- At least 18 years of age.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Previous carpentry experience preferred.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.