First Cook Pastry: Full Time Year Round
BASIC FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Preparation and production of baked goods, pastries, breakfast pastries, and all associated pastry items for a resort serving up to 2500 meals per day, in accordance with company standards and local health regulations.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Support Bakery and Pastry Operation, and adhere to kitchen standards regarding proper uniform, service standards, food production, safety and sanitation, and morale.
- Maintain work spaces including stainless steel tables, equipment, dry storage shelves, walk-in refrigerators, freezer, and general sanitary condition of bake shop production and storage areas in a neat and orderly fashion.
- Monitor the quality and quantity of food that is prepared. Ensure adherence to quality expectations and standards including all assigned production.
- Check inventory and maintain par stocks, requisition items as needed and maintain an awareness of costs/expenses.
- Monitor the quality and quantity of food that is prepared prior to distributing to “front of house” staff for delivery to guest.
- Prepare and cook food according to recipes, quality standards, presentation standards, and food preparation checklist.
- Prepare special dietary meals or substitute items.
- Weigh, measure, and mix ingredients.
- Organize and detail the work area for AM and PM dessert service
- Test and inspect foods to determine if they have been cooked sufficiently.
- Demonstrate basic knife handling skills and familiarity with basic kitchen equipment and machines.
- Operate equipment such as ovens, stoves, grills, mixers, proofers, microwaves, steamers, kettles, and fryers.
- Research industry trends regularly and maintain a current knowledge of common or trending practices in the industry.
- Work productively and efficiently with or without supervision when performing routine tasks.
- Learn, retain, and demonstrate a full knowledge and understanding of all dessert menu offerings.
- Assist in production planning, record keeping and reporting as required.
- Assist in the requisitioning and receiving of all food and supplies as required.
- Perform job safely while maintaining a clean, safe, and organized work environment.
- Follow all Mohonk Mountain House safety and security policies and procedures.
- Maintain proper rotation of product in all refrigerators (FIFO) to minimize wastage/spoilage.
- Maintain food storage and cooler logs in adherence to food safety standards.
- Sanitize and ensure cleanliness and maintenance of all work areas, utensils, and equipment.
- Reach with hands and arms, bend, kneel, stoop, twist and flex arms, walk up and down stairs/inclines, sit, climb up/down ladders or stand for up to 5 hours at a time.
- Maneuver carts or dollies safely with loads up to 200 pounds up and down stairs, elevators, through passageways or outdoors up to 75 feet.
- Lift up to 50 pounds from ground level to waist level and carries a distance of up to 100 feet with/ without assistance. Walk up to 5 miles per day.
- Handle hot items with care.
- Check the working condition of equipment and machinery in accordance with specifications.
- Identify safety hazards, report, and follow up to see that corrective action is taken and inform supervisor of hazardous situations.
- Complete safety training and certifications when offered.
- Speak, read and write the English language and communicate in a clear and congenial manner, with our guests, visitors and employees. Hear verbal instructions, directions and warnings.
- Perform basic mathematical functions such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.
- Listen well, communicate effectively and establish effective working relationships with other staff, management, vendors and guests that have a variety of educational backgrounds and values.
- Communicate assistance needed during busy periods.
- Inspect the work of others by touch, sight, sound and smell for conformance to prescribed standards.
- See close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Analyze problems and develop and implement action plans to address problems.
- Work under time constraints, extreme temperatures, and high business levels.
- Offer consistently professional, friendly and proactive guest service while supporting fellow colleagues.
- Assist all service staff and company workers in a professional manner insuring our guest service is in accordance with company standards.
- Attend shift briefings and actively participate daily.
- Maintain confidentiality of proprietary information; protect company assets.
- Adhere to Mohonk Mountain House’s Dress and Grooming Standards; presenting a neat, clean and well-groomed appearance and maintaining a positive, professional image to our customers.
- Learn and successfully demonstrate the Mohonk Mountain House Service Steps with Service Strategies with guests and staff.
- Maintain a flexible work schedule including days/nights, weekdays/weekends, holidays, and during peak periods of business.
- Taste sweet, sour, bitter, and salty and demonstrate a sense of smell.
- Valid Driver’s License
- At least 18 years old.
- 3 years culinary experience in similar operation.
- Certification in food service sanitation practices and prevention of food borne illnesses preferred.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.