Front Desk Clerk: Part Time Year Round
BASIC FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Desk Clerk performs receptionist and customer service work helping to represent Mohonk Mountain House in the best way possible as they often serve as the guest’s first impression of the resort. The Desk Clerk is responsible for checking guests in/out of rooms graciously, efficiently, and accurately. They are responsible for processing charges and payments and demonstrating knowledge of billing and payment options. The ideal candidate would be courteous, self-motivated, friendly, and detail-oriented and provide accurate information about all resort amenities and services. Computer proficiency and the ability to effectively communicate via telephone, email, and in person are essential.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Process guest check-ins using established resort procedures. Verify registration cards for the correct information and obtain guest signatures and any necessary paperwork.
- Answer guest questions with accurate information and demonstrate a friendly and helpful personality by smiling, eye contact, initiating conversation and engaging with others.
- Promote and recognize customer loyalty and provide exceptional service.
- Set-up guest reservation billing accounts for each person checking-in according to requests/requirements (shares, separate room rates/tax/incidentals, routing, comps)
- Collect information for guest billing, including tax exempt status information, credit card, check, or cash
- Assist customers with questions regarding their existing reservations. Make future reservations
- Understand reservation codes, other input codes, and special traces.
- Enter and confirm reservations in the property management system with the utmost accuracy and detail to capture important information.
- Generate and communicate daily traced requests, special attention guests, and VIPs for the front desk and other departments.
- Make Dining Reservations for overnight guests of the resort.
- Prepare key packets and registration card arrival boxes for reserved designated group business.
- Organize guest registration cards by filing all cards accurately in room number order.
- Provide information to guests on luggage storage, parking and retrieval of vehicles, and loading of luggage into cars for departure.
- Maintain a complete knowledge of all resort features, services, and activities (i.e. hours of operation, daily house counts, number of arrivals and departures, scheduled group and transient events, room availability, room types, rates, promotions, and amenities, locations of services and facilities).
- Learn and successfully demonstrate the Mohonk Mountain House Service Steps with Service Strategies with guests and staff.
- Learn and retain knowledge of historical facts and information about Mohonk Mountain House.
- Understand and comply with resort and departmental policies and procedures including required uniform and dress code policies. Maintain a professional, neat, and well-groomed appearance and wear required department-issued uniform.
- Provide professional customer service with a desire to exceed, including exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrate computer proficiency with Microsoft Office software (Outlook, Word, and Excel). OPERA Software knowledge a plus.
- Utilize Payment Card Industry (PCI) compliance standards to protect credit card and personal information.
- Attend required coaching and training sessions as scheduled to review service quality and productivity.
- Maintain a complete knowledge of: All resort features, services, and activities, along with hours of operation; Daily house counts, along with arrivals and departures; Scheduled group and transient activity sheets; Room availability; Room types, rates, promotions, and amenities; Dining locations and hours of operations.
- Answer telephone calls and emails in a clear and professional manner using the correct greeting and grammar usage.
- Transfer special unrelated front desk telephone calls to the appropriate departments
- Advise guests of messages (telephone, fax, etc.) and package deliveries.
- Perform basic mathematical skills including addition, subtraction, multiplication, division and perform and record cash/credit transactions accurately.
- Maintain an assigned cash bank and insure accuracy of contracted amount. Follow proper accounting procedures for deposits, refunds, rate adjustments, and end of shift audits. Adhere to cashiering and accounting policies.
- Process adjustment vouchers, paid-outs, miscellaneous charges, and room charges. Cash guests personal checks according to Mohonk Mountain House procedure. Settle guest room accounts.
- Perform an audit via Opera (PMS) programming (balance receipts) and return bank at close of shift in accordance with Mohonk Mountain House standards.
- Take information on shopping orders and relay information to the Guest Services Shopper.
- Process guest and employee dry cleaning requests accurately according to procedures. Inspect and confirm receipt of laundry from the cleaner.
- Provide transportation information and directions to guests. Book trip arrivals and departures via Mohonk Mountain House Transportation.
- Follow opening and closing procedure checklists.
- Document guest requests, concerns, and needs; and immediately communicate with appropriate departments/personnel. Follow-up to make sure the guest is satisfied with the resolution using Mohonk Mountain House Second Effort procedures.
- Keep a clean and neat work station, restock office supplies and paper supplies as necessary.
- Work in office setting subject to continuous interruptions and background noises.
- Work extended periods of time viewing a computer video monitor and input information with a keyboard.
- Work under stress from contact with public, demanding deadlines and changing priorities and conditions. Maintain a calm demeanor when under pressure.
- Maintain professional composure and use good manners on the telephone and in person.
- Be dependable, responsible, and punctual and; and maintain good attendance.
- Learn and effectively process job responsibilities efficiently and confidently.
- Demonstrate organizational skills, proofreading skills, an attention to detail, and produce well-written, error-free copies.
- Work productively and efficiently with or without supervision when performing routine tasks.
- Maintain a flexible work schedule including days/nights, overnights, weekdays/weekends, holidays, and during peak periods of business.
- Speak, read and write the English language and communicate in a clear and congenial manner, with our guests, visitors and employees. Hear verbal instructions, directions and warnings.
- Escort guests and show various room types.
- Lift up to 15 pounds (i.e. brochure, folio paper, registration card, and envelope boxes) from ground level to above head and carry distance of up to 100 feet with/ without assistance. Walk up to 3 miles per day.
- Reach with hands and arms, bend, kneel, stoop, twist and flex arms, walk up and down stairs/inclines, sit, or stand for up to 5 hours at a time. Navigate up to six flights of stairs.
- Inspect work by touch, sight, sound and smell for conformance to prescribed standards.
- See close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Maintain focus on the job task at hand to think clearly and quickly.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Prior hospitality or customer service experience preferred
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.