Activities Manager: Full Time Year Round
The Activities Manager is responsible for the operation, administration and coordination of the Activities, Kids/Youth, Boats, and Tennis, Wheelworks Shop. Activities Department consists of the Beach, Hikes, Tournament Areas, Information Summerhouse, Special Events, Holiday Events, Disc Golf, Archery and Tomahawk range. The Activities Manager is an active member of the Recreation Team and responds to guests needs in timely fashion to ensure gracious service. Assists the Recreation Director. Oversees the Recreation Department in the absence of the Recreation Director.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Organize, schedule, and direct all sports areas/daily activity events within the Activities Department, Kids/Youth Department, and Boat Dock Department, Bikes/Tennis, and Beach
- Organize, schedule, and direct all holiday events within the Activities Department including 4th of July Events, Halloween, Kids Stay Free, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year’s, President’s Week, and Easter Week.
- Work with Director of Human Resources to organize, schedule and direct employee holiday events including Christmas ‘give aways’ and Easter egg hunt and party
- Responsible for recruiting, selecting, training, coaching, and reviewing of all personnel within the Activities Department; Youth and Children’s Supervisor, Activities Supervisors, Activities and Winter Sports Supervisor, Head Lifeguard, Boat Dock Attendants, Activities Leaders, Children’s Counselors, Lifeguards, and Tennis Clerks.
- Schedule and provide assignments to staff for Activities, Tennis, Kids/Youth, Bikes and Boats.
- Schedule Daily Activities, Special Events and Holiday Events.
- Prepare and administer the budget (revenue, expense and labor) and reforecasts for the Activities Department, Kids/Youth Department, and Boat Dock Department. Assists the Recreation Director with Tennis Department.
- Enter group or sport activities/daily activities and block space in the Catering Software Program.
- Interact regularly with other department heads and staff regarding upcoming functions and events as well as provide a balance of activities on the daily Activities schedule.
- Work with Marketing and Programs developing and executing theme programs and special events.
- Interact with the Group Recreation Sales Manager to coordinate staffing for corporate or recreation sales events.
- Maintain the Central Bulletin Board and updates trail information on all internal locations and documents.
- Make recommendations for sports facilities and equipment purchases and assists Recreation Director in long range planning.
- Maintain appropriate Mohonk Mountain House image and standards in all efforts.
- Promote Guest Relations.
- Ensure that Mohonk Mountain House employee policies and guidelines are followed.
- Available to guests and able to deal calmly and pleasantly with guests while under pressure.
- Maintain an awareness of industry trends and local recreational offerings.
- Analyze problems and develop and implement action plans to address problems.
- Initiate conversation in a friendly, professional and congenial manner with guests and staff.
- Handle adversity, change and emergency situations calmly and with a level head.
- Reach with hands and arms, bend, kneel, stoop, twist and flex arms, walk up and down stairs/inclines, sit, climb up/down ladders or stand for up to 5 hours at a time.
- Lift up to 75 pounds from ground level to waist and carry a distance of up to 100 feet with/ without assistance. Walk up to 15 miles per day.
- Climb up, down, across, under, and over rocks and into tight spaces while rock scrambling.
- Present a neat, clean, and well-groomed appearance in accordance with the Mohonk Mountain House Dress and Grooming Standards.
- Identify safety hazards and inspect the work of others by sight, sound, and/or smell. Ensures hazards are corrected.
- Speak clearly in front of many people.
- Speak, read and write the English language and communicate in a clear and congenial manner, with our guests, visitors and employees. Hear verbal instructions, directions and warnings.
- See close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Work in a manner that will not endanger self or others.
- Manipulate sports equipment.
- Memorize a history tour of the grounds, trials, and story of Mohonk Mountain House and the Smiley Family.
- Work flexible or changing days and hours; including days, nights, weekends, holidays, and occasionally up to 14 hours per shift.
- Work up to 6 days per week as necessary.
- Demonstrate creativity and imagination.
- Possess good disciplinary and interpersonal skills.
- Work without supervision and take initiative.
- Use a PC for booking reservations, data entry, and billing guests in various Recreational areas
- Work closely with the Head Lifeguard to ensure guards are completing weekly drills.
- Ensure all areas are completing daily sanitation protocols.
- BS Degree in Sport Management, Recreation, or similar field. In lieu of degree 3-5 years of proven work history in a Recreation setting with increasing responsibility.
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in management.
- Valid driver’s license.
- CPR/First Aid/Lifeguard Training certification required.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.