Flower Shop Assistant: Part Time Year Round
To provide floral arrangements for retail sales, amenities, special events and public displays at Mohonk Mountain House. Able to work independently to carry out daily tasks, create necessary arrangements and coordinate with the Front Office and Greenhouse staff in delivering floral arrangements to guest rooms and proper locations. Able to fulfill flower orders and requests from staff and guests, maintaining the Flower Shop and Greenhouse Gift Shop in a neat and welcoming manner. Answer phones and assist in the sales, inventory and presentation of flowers and Greenhouse Gift Shop merchandise.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Learn and demonstrate a knowledge of Mohonk Mountain House property, displays, and regular flower orders, as well as special orders.
- Maintain the Flower Shop and Greenhouse Gift Shop in a neat and orderly fashion.
- Take flower orders by phone, email, or in person. Confer with guests and record accurate information from guests on delivery location, remarks for special occasions, quantity, type of flowers ordered and arrangement specified.
- Design and produce visually attractive floral arrangements.
- Pick and harvest fresh flowers suitable for daily needs from approved cutting areas.
- Deliver or arrange for delivery of arrangements ensuring the guest needs are met or exceeded.
- Analyze and make recommendations concerning Flower and Greenhouse Gift Shop methods, merchandizing and procedures.
- Assist the Greenhouse/Flower Shop in the planning and preparation of flowers for weddings, major decorating schemes, promotions, special tasks, amenities and programs.
- Check inventories of Flower Shop and Gift Shop materials, tools, and supplies and communicate needs to Greenhouse Manager.
- Perform quality control checks on flower/merchandise deliveries from outside vendors ensuring damaged goods are recorded and communicated.
- Water plants, and cut, condition, and clean flowers and foliage for storage.
- Assist with basic greenhouse and plant growth techniques (i.e. watering) as needed.
- Prioritize and meet deadlines in a fast-paced dynamic environment.
- Wear Proper Protective Equipment when performing tasks that recommend such equipment.
- Work productively and efficiently with or without supervision when performing routine tasks.
- Operate vehicles safely while driving and/or parking in compliance with Mohonk Mountain House Traffic Rules and Regulations.
- See close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, colors, and ability to adjust focus.
- Reach with hands and arms, bend, kneel, stoop, twist and flex arms, walk up and down stairs/inclines, sit, climb up/down ladders or stand for up to 5 hours at a time.
- Lift 50 lbs. from the ground to 3½ feet, stoop and lift a 20 lb. object from ground level to overhead, stand, bend, reach, lift, kneel, walk, climb ladders and go up and down stairs.
- Speak, read and write the English language and communicate in a clear and congenial manner, with our guests, visitors and employees. Hear verbal instructions, directions and warnings.
- Ensure the safety of guests, employees and self, anywhere on the property. Adhere to all safety rules and regulations and wear safety equipment as required by Mohonk Mountain House.
- Coordinate for daily and long-term Flower Shop needs by updating guest records, flagging requests and orders. Maintain Flower Shop calendar of activities.
- Perform basic mathematical skills including addition, subtraction, multiplication, division and perform and record cash/credit transactions accurately.
- Adhere to Mohonk Mountain House’s Dress and Grooming Standards; presenting a neat, clean and well-groomed appearance and maintaining a positive, professional image to our customers.
- Learn and successfully demonstrate the Mohonk Mountain House Service Steps with Service Strategies with guests and staff.
- Maintain a flexible work schedule including days/nights, weekdays/weekends, holidays, and during peak periods of business.
- Develop and maintain positive working relationships with other staff.
- Support other departments in completion of related tasks to ensure guest satisfaction, convenience and professionalism.
- Answer guest questions with accurate information and demonstrate a friendly and helpful personality by smiling, eye contact, initiating conversation and engaging with others.
- Certified in floriculture or related field, or a minimum of 2 years work experience in a Flower Shop.
- Valid New York State driver’s license.
- 18 years of age or older.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.