Gift Shop Clerk: Part Time Year Round
BASIC FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Gift Shop Clerk must provide outstanding customer service, proactively make sales to meet and exceed budget, keep all areas neat and clean, and keep shelves stocked and managers aware of anything that needs to be ordered.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Operate the register, including normal sales, handling multiple methods of payments including gift cards, room charges, credit card charges, and also including other register functions such as voids, returns, and similar functions.
- Maintain proper balance in cash drawer and in personal bank.
- Open and close shop including cash drawer check-ins and check-outs according to accounting procedures.
- Learn and retain all Soda Fountain food and drink preparations.
- Assist customers with gift and soda fountain purchases, imparting product knowledge when applicable.
- Present a friendly, positive, and helpful demeanor.
- Develop an understanding of sales skills in a shop environment sufficient to provide an effective level of customer service and performance.
- Develop an understanding of the products sold in the shop sufficient to provide an effective level of customer service.
- Take an active role in stocking shelves.
- Check in parcel, noting any discrepancies, and price items.
- Assist with weekly newspaper reserve list and magazine stocking and returns.
- Contribute ideas and suggestions, in order to achieve improvements in all aspects of the shop’s performance both individually and as a member of the shop team.
- Take an active role in keeping stock room neat and orderly, in ensuring continued stock supply, and in maintaining stock record accuracy.
- Contribute to the general tidiness and cleanliness of the shop and conform to associated company procedures and policies. Participate in the housekeeping of all shop areas to include folding clothing, dusting, sweeping, mopping, cleaning soda fountain machines, etc.
- Perform regular, daily housekeeping tasks, including special projects.
- Actively learn and implement new ideas, methods and skills.
- Comply with and implement all of the organization’s policies and procedures.
- Exercise vigilance to prevent shoplifting.
- Comply with cost-reduction measures.
- Comply with Departmental Standards, All Employee Service Standards, and Gift Shop Clerk Standards.
- Maintain a presence throughout the Gift Shop and engage shoppers.
- Work productively and efficiently with or without supervision when performing routine tasks.
- Listen carefully to Guest/Customer orders and requests, as well as Supervisors’ instructions and requests.
- Maintain a flexible work schedule including days/nights, overnights, weekdays/weekends, holidays, and during peak periods of business.
- Maintain a calm, friendly, efficient manner at all times to guests and co-workers.
- Adhere to Mohonk Mountain House’s Dress and Grooming Standards; presenting a neat, clean and well-groomed appearance and maintaining a positive, professional image to our customers.
- Learn and successfully demonstrate the Mohonk Mountain House Service Steps with Service Strategies with guests and staff.
- Learn and retain knowledge of historical facts and information about Mohonk Mountain House.
- Develop and maintain positive working relationships with other staff.
- Answer guest questions with accurate information and demonstrate a friendly and helpful personality by smiling, eye contact, initiating conversation and engaging with others.
- Reach with hands and arms, bend, kneel, stoop, twist and flex arms, walk up and down stairs/inclines, sit, climb up/down ladders or stand for up to 5 hours at a time.
- Fold clothes, operate cash register, and prepare Soda Fountain items.
- Inspect the work of others by touch, sight, sound and smell for conformance to prescribed standards of cleanliness.
- Lift up to 40 pounds from ground level to counter level and carry a distance of up to 50 feet with/ without assistance. Walk up to 5 miles per day.
- Maneuver carts or dollies safely with loads up to 200 pounds up and down stairs, elevators, through passageways or outdoors up to 200 feet.
- See close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Speak, read and write the English language and communicate in a clear and congenial manner, with our guests, visitors and employees. Hear verbal instructions, directions and warnings.
- Perform basic mathematical skills including addition, subtraction, multiplication, division and perform and record cash/credit transactions accurately.
- Hospitality and retail experience a plus.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.