Florist: Full Time Year Round
BASIC FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
As a Florist the primary responsibility is to create innovative floral décor and lead floral installation for the hotel lobby, Guest Rooms, Dining Room, Spa and other public areas. Have a good coordination with departments like Housekeeping, Guest Services, Front Office, and Food & Beverage Departments. Have knowledge about a wide range of floral designs, flowers, foliage along with their seasonal availability and how long they will stay fresh. All designs and duties are to be performed in accordance with Mohonk Mountain House standards, policies, and procedures.
ESSENTIONAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Check reservations regularly and make note of any reservations for Suite Rooms, Grove Lodge, special occasions, and/or for any guest staying seven or more nights. Determine weekly floral needs for the Dining Rooms, Groups, and other special occasions.
- Order flowers, floral products and monitor their arrivals with the vendors.
- Ensure all transfers are reviewed and delivered to Parks and Grounds Administrative Assistant for processing.
- Review wholesale flower invoices for accuracy and submit for timely payment.
- Assign staff daily assignments and monitor progress.
- Prepare financial and administrative reports free of errors and omissions.
- Follow policies and procedures relating to budgeting, staffing and purchasing.
- Take flower orders by phone, email, or in person. Confer with guests and record accurate information from guests on delivery location, remarks for special occasions, quantity, type of flowers ordered and arrangement specified.
- Answer guest questions with accurate information and demonstrate a friendly and helpful personality by smiling, eye contact, initiating conversation and engaging with others.
- Design and produce visually attractive floral arrangements.
- Pick and harvest fresh flowers suitable for daily needs from approved cutting areas.
- Deliver or arrange for delivery of arrangements ensuring the guest needs are met or exceeded.
- Perform quality control checks on flower/merchandise deliveries from outside vendors ensuring damaged goods are recorded and communicated.
- Work with staff to maintain the integrity of flower garden areas and seasonal house displays.
- Coordinate needs by daily and long-term needs by updating guest records, flagging requests and orders. Maintain a calendar of activities.
- Check inventories of Flower Shop and Gift Shop materials, tools, and supplies and communicate needs to Greenhouse Manager.
- Water plants, and cut, condition, and clean flowers and foliage for storage. Water and maintain all in-house plants and floral decorations.
- Assist the Greenhouse/Flowershop Supervisor in the planning and preparation of weddings, major decorating schemes, promotions, special tasks, amenities and programs.
- Ensure safety of guests, employees and self, anywhere on the property. Adhere to all safety rules and regulations and wear safety equipment.
- Analyze and make recommendations concerning methods, merchandizing and procedures.
- Perform basic mathematical skills including addition, subtraction, multiplication, division and perform and record cash/credit transactions accurately.
- Add simple columns of figures, compute taxes and discounts, give correct change and write legibly.
- Maintain inventories of Flowershop materials, tools, and supplies. Communicate needs to manager.
- Maintain current horticultural and plant knowledge, technical updates.
- Maintain neat order on job site whether within Flowershop or Gift Shop storage areas to ensure safe and efficient working conditions.
- Stay up to date and current in design trends, floral techniques, props and other products.
- Provide informative talks, demonstrations or workshops on current floral and herbal topics.
- Assist in regular house decoration and decoration for special occasions.
- Ensure good relations with internal departments, clients and vendors to resolve issues.Work with other departments to ensure guest satisfaction, convenience and professionalism. Support other departments in the completion of related tasks.
- Positively influence staff morale and exemplify a cooperative attitude.
- Work under pressure, maintaining personal composure, work occasional overtime, holidays and weekends, as required.
- Demonstrate good vision and proper color identification to be able to recognize visual indicators concerning plant health and color coordination for decorating purposes.
- Inspect the work of others by touch, sight, sound and smell for conformance.
- Speak, read and write the English language and communicate in a clear and congenial manner, with our guests, visitors and employees. Hear verbal instructions, directions and warnings.
- Reach with hands and arms, bend, kneel, stoop, twist and flex arms, walk up and down stairs/inclines, sit, climb up/down ladders or stand for up to 5 hours at a time.
- Lift 50 lbs. from the ground to 3½ feet, stoop and lift a 20 lb. object from ground level to overhead, and carry a distance of up to 75 feet with or without assistance. Walk up to 7 miles a day.
- Maneuver carts or dollies safely with loads up to 200 pounds up and down stairs, elevators, through passageways or outdoors up to 75 feet.
- Operate vehicles safely while driving and/or parking in compliance with Mohonk Mountain House Traffic Rules and Regulations.
- Maintain a flexible work schedule including days/nights, weekdays/weekends, holidays, and during peak periods of business.
- Maintain regular, predictable and punctual attendance during regularly scheduled work hours.
- Work during extremes of weather (summer heat to winter cold) in order to perform essential job functions.
- Adhere to Mohonk Mountain House’s Dress and Grooming Standards; presenting a neat, clean and well-groomed appearance and maintaining a positive, professional image to our customers.
- Learn and successfully demonstrate the Mohonk Mountain House Service Steps with Service Strategies with guests and staff.
- At least 18 years of age.
- Valid driver’s License with at least two years of licensed driving experience.
- At least 2 to 4 years of floral design experience preferably in the hospitality industry. One year experience in the horticulture industry.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.