First Cook - Full Time Year Round
BASIC FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBLITIES:
Preparation and production of wholesome meals in accordance with company standards and local health regulations.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Prepare and service all food items for a la carte and/or buffet menus serving up to 2500 meals per day according to hotel recipes and standards.
- Follow recipes, instructions from sous chefs, and work as part of larger team unit focusing on quality and consistency.
- Bake, roast, broil, and steam meats, fish, vegetables, and other foods.
- Check and ensure the correctness of the temperature of appliances and food.
- Ensure adherence to quality expectations and standards.
- Ensure proper portion, arrangement, and food garnish.
- Keep refrigerators and storerooms clean and neat. Ensure food and supply items are stored per standards.
- Monitor food quality while preparing food.
- Monitor the quality and quantity of food that is prepared prior to distributing to “front of house” staff for delivery to guest.
- Prepare and cook food according to recipes, quality standards, presentation standards, and food preparation checklist.
- Prepare special dietary meals or substitute items.
- Weigh, measure, and mix ingredients.
- Maneuver carts or dollies safely with loads up to 200 pounds up and down stairs, elevators, through passageways or outdoors up to 75 feet.
- Inspect work by touch, sight, sound and smell for conformance to prescribed standards.
- Lift such items as boxes as heavy as 50 pounds.
- Operate equipment such as ovens, stoves, grills, microwaves, steamers, kettles, and fryers.
- Reach overhead and below the knees, including bending, twisting, pulling, and stooping.
- Regulate temperature of ovens, broilers, grills, and roasters.
- Stand for up to five hours at a time. Walk distances up to five miles.
- Speak, read and write the English language and communicate in a clear and congenial manner, with our guests, visitors and employees. Hear verbal instructions, directions and warnings.
- Test and inspect foods to determine if they have been cooked sufficiently.
- Set-up and break down work station.
- Maintain proper rotation of product in all refrigerators (FIFO) to minimize wastage/spoilage.
- Wash and disinfect kitchen area, tables, tools, knives, and equipment.
- Sanitize and ensure cleanliness and maintenance of all work areas, utensils, and equipment.
- Work clean and be responsible for kitchen organization and orderliness.
- Perform job safely while maintaining a clean, safe work environment.
- Handle hot items with care.
- Check the working condition of equipment and machinery in accordance with specifications.
- Follow all Mohonk Mountain House safety and security policies and procedures.
- Identify safety hazards, report, and follow up to see that corrective action is taken.
- Inform supervisor of hazardous situations, emergencies or threats to the security of guests, employees or hotel assets.
- Maintain food storage and cooler logs in adherence to food safety standards.
- Complete safety training and certifications when offered.
- Adhere strictly to directives and instructions from Sous Chef, Executive Sous, Executive Chef.
- Work under time constraints, extreme temperatures, and high business levels.
- Assist in production planning, record keeping and reporting as required.
- Assist in the requisitioning and receiving of all food and supplies as required.
- Perform basic mathematical functions such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.
- Research industry trends regularly and maintain a current knowledge of common or trending practices in the industry.
- Work productively and efficiently with or without supervision when performing routine tasks.
- Learn, retain, and demonstrate a full knowledge and understanding of all menu items, carriage lounge, and banquet menus as trained.
- Demonstrate basic knife handling skills and familiarity with basic kitchen equipment and machines.
- Offer consistently professional, friendly and proactive guest service while supporting fellow colleagues.
- Listen well, communicate effectively and establish effective working relationships with other staff, management, vendors and guests that have a variety of educational backgrounds and values.
- Follow kitchen policies, procedures and service standards
- Assist all service staff and company workers in a professional manner insuring our guest service is in accordance with company standards.
- Attend shift briefings and actively participate daily.
- Communicate assistance needed during busy periods
- Maintain confidentiality of proprietary information; protect company assets.
- Adhere to Mohonk Mountain House’s Dress and Grooming Standards; presenting a neat, clean and well-groomed appearance and maintaining a positive, professional image to our customers.
- Learn and successfully demonstrate the Mohonk Mountain House Service Steps with Service Strategies with guests and staff.
- Maintain a flexible work schedule including days/nights, weekdays/weekends, holidays, and during peak periods of business.
- At least 18 years old.
- 3 years culinary experience in similar operation.
- Certification in food service sanitation practices and prevention of food borne illnesses preferred.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.