Activities Supervisor: Full Time Seasonal until 9/9/2018
BASIC FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Lead and supervise guest recreational activities and recreation areas and staff members. To respond quickly and appropriately to satisfy all guest and staff requests. Promotes a positive and safe experience for all guests and fellow employees. The Activities Supervisor is an active member of the Recreation Team who responds to all issues of departmental concern within the framework of the operation of the total hotel. May supervise the Activities Department in the Activities Manager's absence.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Coordinate and produce the Daily Activities Schedule using Microsoft Word & Publisher.
- Cover the Lead Lifeguard shift as necessary.
- Supervise the Snow Tubing operation.
- Work closely with the Activities Manager to ensure a coordinated effort to meet our social and group guest's needs.
- Lead rock scrambles and traverse rocks of various sizes safely using hands and fee; assist hikers traversing rocks.
- Plan and execute special events such as July 4, Christmas, Thanksgiving, Presidents· Weekend, etc.
- Oversee Ice Skating and XC Skiing operations in season, train staff, and ensure proper maintenance of area and equipment.
- Oversee the Tennis and Wheelworks Shop and area, train new staff, and ensure proper maintenance of the court areas.
- Run tournaments and multiple sport events (softball, volleyball, croquet, lawn bowling, putting, shuffleboard, and Olympic-type events).
- Monitor game equipment such as; croquet, bocce, volleyball, shuffleboard, basketball and horseshoe pits.
- Lead group events, plus other recreational activities as needed.
- Facilitate Challenge Course events as required.
- Use a PC to process payment and enter data into a software program.
- Demonstrate proficiency with Windows-based operating systems and use software including MS Word, MS Excel, MS Publisher, and MS Outlook.
- Prepare administrative reports in a clear, logical manner.
- Develop and implement innovative and interesting programs.
- Assist with ordering of recreational sport equipment
- Assist in the planning of recreational activities.
- Assist in training and evaluating Activities Staff members.
- Assist the Activities Manager oversee/verify payroll for department staff and follow prescribed payroll procedures.
- Research industry trends regularly and maintain a current knowledge of common or trending practices in the industry.
- Identify problems, formulate a solution, direct action, and take corrective follow-up action.
- Demonstrate patience with children 2-17 years old and adults
- Memorize names of local plants & animals and names of guests.
- Speak clearly and in front of people.
- Handle adversity, change or emergency situations calmly and with a level head
- Deal calmly while leading hikes, scrambles, events along paths adjacent to cliffs 1500 feet high.
- Carry a two-way portable radio and earpiece to communicate and provide immediate response to emergency situations.
- Work in a manner that will not endanger self or others.
- Manipulate sports equipment.
- Inspect the work of others by touch, sight, sound and smell for conformance to prescribed standards of cleanliness.
- Speak, read and write the English language and communicate in a clear and congenial manner, with our guests, visitors and employees. Hear verbal instructions, directions and warnings.
- See close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Identify safety hazards by sight, sound, and or smell. Ensures hazards are corrected.
- Reach with hands and arms, bend, kneel, stoop, twist and flex arms, walk up and down stairs/inclines, sit, climb up/down ladders or stand for up to 5 hours at a time.
- Lift up to 75 pounds from ground level to waist level and carry a distance of up to 20 feet with/ without assistance. Walk up to 10 miles per day.
- Demonstrate organizational skills, proofreading skills, and produce well-written, error-free copies.
- Adhere to Mohonk Mountain House’s Dress and Grooming Standards; presenting a neat, clean and well-groomed appearance and maintaining a positive, professional image to our customers.
- Learn and successfully demonstrate the Mohonk Mountain House Service Steps with Service Strategies with guests and staff.
- Learn and retain knowledge of historical facts and information about Mohonk Mountain House.
- Maintain a flexible work schedule including days/nights, overnights, weekdays/weekends, holidays, and during peak periods of business.
- Develop and maintain positive working relationships with other staff.
- Learn and demonstrate knowledge and appreciation of nature.
- Answer guest questions with accurate information and demonstrate a friendly and helpful personality by smiling, eye contact, initiating conversation and engaging with others
- Valid Driver’s License
- BS degree in Recreation Science/Leisure Studies/Physical Education or equivalent experience.
- Standard First Aid and CPR, ARC Lifeguard certification required.
- Background in Challenge Courses, Low and High Ropes Courses, and/or Experiential Education preferred.
- 3 years’ experience in a people-oriented job preferred.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.