Consultant - Short term Technical Assistance – MEL Advisor
The NU-TEC Financial Services is a DFID funded blended finance facility for agriculture market system in northern Uganda.
To implement the facility, Mercy Corps is partnering with a commercial financial institution to establish a fund for lending to agribusinesses and agriculture projects that would otherwise be considered ‘too high a risk’ for commercial lending. The new portfolio will aim to adopt innovative risk assessment and management strategies that incentivise financial institutions to adopt reduced borrowing requirements and make lending capital available to a wider segment of the market.
Purpose / Project Description:
The programme needs to finalise a results log frame with targets for lending and other development indicators required by DFID. An initial logframe has been prepared, additional discussions with NUTEC learning partner are scheduled for May 2019. During these discussions, the MEL Advisor will represent the programme to finalise a programme logframe. The advisor will work with the Deputy Team Leader to finalise programme targets with DFID.
Based on the agreed logframe, the MEL Advisor will develop a measurement plan including reporting against targets and data collection and analysis to inform programme development.
The fund operates using the partner bank’s standard operating processes and these processes need to be efficiently utilised to track development indicators required by DFID. The MEL Advisor will work with the Equity Bank MIS management team and the NUTEC FS team to set up the tracking system.
Based on the MEL measurement plan the consultant is expected to recommend the scope of work to resource the MEL delivery during project implementation.
Key Responsibilities will include:
- Work with the MEL advisors at the learning partner institution to complete the programme logframe and finalise the theory of change
- In communication with the DTL and DFID Advisor finalise the programme logframe targets including – loan targets and development targets.
- Propose a suitable measurement plan using simple measurement tools and effectively utilising the bank’s internal MIS framework.
- Based on the measurement plan provide an indicative SOW to resource the data collection and learning component.
- Based on the measurement plan establish the resources required for on-going monitoring and data collection working toward measurement milestones proposed in the plan
- Complete programme logframe acceptable to DFID
- MEL measurement plan including resource requirements and estimated budget
- Capacity building of long-term staff for MEL measurement during programme implementation
- Setting up the systems for adopting the measurement plan
- Approxmitaley - 25 April - 01 June 2019
- Up to a maximum of 15 billable days
Minimum Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Statistics, Mathematics or Economics
- 5 years of experience working in senior monitoring and evaluation capacity for DFID projects
- Understanding of the DCED standards of monitoring and evaluation for market development projects
- Demonstrated experience developing theory of change and logframes for DFID projects
- Experience working with a fund or blended finance facility a plus
- East Africa experience a plus
- Excellent verbal and writing skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively in a team environment
- High degree of integrity and strong work ethic
The Consultant will work closely with:
NUTEC FS Team at partner financial institution.
The Consultant will report to:
For technical matters to Deputy Team Leader and Corporate matters to Team Leader for NUTEC Financial Services.