Business Intelligence Developer
*A cover letter is required for consideration for this position.*
About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within.
Now, and for the future.
Program / Department Summary
Resource Development (RD) staff work to raise private funds, cultivating and maintaining relationships with private donors; define the agency’s brand, raising our public profile and sharing stories about our work by engaging with the media, the public, and our supporters and by producing a wide range of online and offline communications.Team includes several dozen dynamic professionals who possess a wide range of skills. We are passionate about Mercy Corps’ mission and dedicated to supporting our worldwide team that is improving the lives of 19 million people in 40+ countries.
In support of that mission, the Development Operations Team is responsible for processing all donations, answering donor enquiries, supporting the Resource Development budgets, managing fundraising data and producing reporting and analysis in support of RD’s mission.
General Position Summary
The Business Intelligence Developer supports and expands the RD team’s business intelligence solution(s), primarily a custom data warehouse built in SQL Server, and a suite of reports in Microsoft’s SQL Server Reporting Services. They will play a critical role in all phases of the solution’s life cycle. This includes participating in or leading requirements definition, data analysis, data modeling, data warehouse development, modeling and piloting emerging technologies and toolsets, ETL design and development, data integration from disparate data sources, reports creation and deployment, and database cleansing efforts. The BI Developer will focus on building reports that enable analysis of fundraising performance, constituent and gift analysis, and occasional data mining/predictive modeling results. This position interviews key stakeholders on report requirements and verifies the results before final publication. Ultimately, it is the goal of the BI Developer to help ensure the reporting and analysis of critical marketing and fundraising data to guide and support the RD team’s strategic decisions.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- SQL development in a production environment: Develop, test and document stored procedures, views, tables, indexes, constraints, functions and/or T-SQL scripts. Prepare detailed and comprehensive documentation for all programs.
- Interview stakeholders about reporting needs: work regularly with the Senior Director of RD Operations and Analytics and other RD team members to identify new reports and changes to existing reports; communicate with team members about report requirements; design, test and vet the final report results with relevant team members.
- Develop and maintain standardized reports using Microsoft’s SQL Server Reporting Services: Create a suite of reports that are scheduled and delivered electronically or are available on-demand in a self-service environment for RD team members. Development and maintenance of Cubes for OLAP purposes as needed; MDX not required for position.
- Using Microsoft’s Integration Services (SSIS), expand and support the SQL Server-based data warehouse and associated ETL processes for reporting and analysis for the RD Team. Provide ample documentation on the data warehouse and associated reports. Use Microsoft’s SQL Server Management Studio throughout all phases.
- Work closely with the RD Database Manager and Online Database Manager to identify data anomalies and broken business rules within operational and transactional data systems. Assist in developing data integrity solutions and data cleanup processes.
- Ensure that personally identifiable data and data analytics practices are in alignment with Mercy Corp’s Responsible Data Policy.
- Cross-train in essential functions to ensure business continuity.
- Collaborate with the IT Department’s Enterprise Solutions Group as a partner-member; ensure that RD technical strategy and direction is in alignment with the larger enterprise roadmap.
- Other duties as requested or required.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
ACCOUNTABILITY TO PARTNERS
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our partners and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging participant communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Reports Directly To: Senior Director, Development Operations & Analytics
Works Directly With: Online Database Manager, Database Manager, Corporate & Foundations Team, Major Gifts Team, Mass Market Fundraising Team
Knowledge and Experience
- College degree in information management or computer science, or comparable experience.
- Demonstrated knowledge of data warehousing, database management, reporting development, data cleansing, ETL and data analysis, preferably in a non-profit fundraising environment.
- Demonstrated success using T-SQL or MySQL to support data warehousing and reporting projects, 3+ years professional experience preferred.
- Demonstrated technical competency (ideally 2+ years experience) with Microsoft SQL Server 2012, including Analysis Services, Integration Services, and Reporting Services (SSAS, SSIS, SSRS).
- Demonstrated success (ideally 2+ years experience) working with Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services to create customized reports, including multi-dimensional reports with drill-down capability.
- Expert knowledge of The Raiser’s Edge ideal; non-profit experience preferred.
- 4+ years experience with fundraising analysis and data or comparably complex data.
- Strong written and spoken communication skills; demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with team members of varied work styles.
- Discretion with confidential materials required.
The successful candidate will be a highly motivated self-starter who is deeply curious about fundraising and the questions fundraisers ask. They will be persistently curious, with an investigative and analytical approach to data and fundraising strategies. Above all, they will be comfortable in a flexible and highly informal development environment, low on protocol and high on relationship and give-and-take conversation. Being interested in the bigger questions that RD is facing and engaging with colleagues about those questions will deepen understanding and success in the position. Even temperament and a good sense of humor are appreciated. Awareness of and sensitivity to multi-cultural international development work are valued.
Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions
The position is based in Portland, Oregon and it requires no travel.
Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours when deployed in a field posting or on a visit/STA to a field posting. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC's policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Fostering a diverse and open workplace is an important part of Mercy Corps’ vision. Mercy Corps is an Equal Opportunity Employer regardless of background. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment.