This position is located in San Juan, Puerto Rico and requires US work authorization. Spanish fluency is required. This position is currently funded until November 30, 2019
About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within.
Now, and for the future.
Program / Department Summary
Following Hurricane Maria, Mercy Corps is supporting relief and recovery efforts in Puerto Rico. We have a team in Puerto Rico that is working with local organizations to deliver humanitarian assistance and rebuild communities ravaged by the hurricane. As we see elsewhere around the world, disaster recovery and resilience requires a concerted, multi-stakeholder effort that involves meaningful coordination among local organizations, government agencies, and communities.. Mercy Corps Puerto Rico is implementing a second phase focused on building Resilience Hubs within existing community centers, which will be equipped with solar energy and water filtration systems.
General Position Summary
The Engineer Associate will provide technical project field support. Typical design-build engineering work for each community center includes: executing the necessary alterations and subsequent repairs to existing building infrastructure for new equipment installation, delivery of potable water components, PV solar energy and battery systems. The Engineer Associate will work closely with the engineering team, consultants, contractors, permitting agencies, local governments, and communities.The Engineer Associate will monitor and oversee field design, build progress to track and drive project delivery and compliance with the approved design, specifications, construction permits, shop drawings, construction budget, schedule, and contractor’s construction quality control process.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Work with the local Mercy Corps project teams to ensure that all water infrastructure and PV solar projects are implemented in selected communities.
- Support with the design and execution of construction contract knowledge related to alterations to existing facilities for installation of: water pumps, electrical breakers and wiring, solar energy and battery systems, cisterns and potable water piping appurtenances.
- Support with the design and operation of community water systems including piping, pumps, and controls, storage reservoirs, treatment and well operation.
- Apply relevant local knowledge of codes and regulations governing the design, tendering, and construction and commissioning of water systems and components including PV solar power systems.
- Support with the management of the design/build team at the construction site in conducting quality assurance daily and/or weekly project site inspections to verify progress and compliance with the contract. Construction monitoring and control strategy for design / build contract will require identifying: deviations, potential claims, contract modifications, construction schedule deviations, claims, and delays with appropriate solutions for assuring the required project delivery.
- Inspect and assure construction procedures comply with OSHA safety requirements.
- During each inspection determine and do appropriate recommendations to evaluate the final approval of works in place complying with the contract documents which will be considered eligible for progress payment.
- Prepare monthly or as necessary progress payment requests with installation or construction progress for PM approval.
- Support procurement planning and processes for water and solar energy program area.
- Assist with the management while updating progress schedules to assure project remains on target for completion as required by the approved construction schedule.
- He/she should interact with contractors during constructions or installations to ensure quality and assess and/or recommend action to initiate change order process, if warranted.
- Provide feedback to the Monitoring and Evaluation Team in order to assess the effectiveness of the projects and impact, and propose recommendations for improvements.
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and not jeopardize its humanitarian/development mission in Puerto Rico
- Work within communities in a manner that ensures safety and minimizes disruption during construction.
- Support construction QA/QC process ensuring all technical reviews are conducted according to best practices and MC protocols.
- Provide inputs for a final inspection and prepare recommendations to Program Manager and Infrastructure PM for final closeout report with final completion photographs.
- Ensure and maintain proper filing system as both hard copies and soft copies.
- Follow up on pending items up during each project visit and/or least weekly until items have been reclassified as corrected.
- Support selection of projects, conducting feasibility studies, providing input into design, cost estimation, preparing work plans and implementation of the infrastructure projects.
- Photograph and write narrative in a punch list of pending items with a milestone correction date.
- Prepare daily, weekly, monthly field inspection reports, provide project progress photographs, and progress reports.
- Keep construction record file documenting important events of the design build process.
- Collaborate with Program Officer in milestone preparation and verification
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC's policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
REPORTS DIRECTLY TO: Program Manager
WORKS DIRECTLY WITH: Infrastructure Project Manager, Program Officer, Procurement department, local partners, contractors, and supporting consulting firms.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE
- Associate or BSc degree in engineering (civil, mechanical , electrical or other)
- At least 1-3 years of experience or specific knowledge in design and construction of water and PV solar systems
- Ability to work collaboratively with mechanical or electrical engineers who will develop associated electrical power system designs, including PV solar systems.
- Knowledge of the local construction industry in Puerto Rico
- Knowledge of construction methods and required permits in Puerto Rico
- Knowledge of proper inspection method and procedure for water and PV systems
- Knowledge of construction management principles and practice in Puerto Rico
- Familiarity of local/regional codes and ordinances related to the water industry in Puerto Rico
- Strong organizational and communication skills.
- Ability to interact effectively with international and national personnel.
- Excellent oral and written skills in English and Spanish languages.
- Strong computer skills with practical knowledge of MS Office and MS Project software.
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and process information into action to avoid delaying program activities
- A clear understanding of assets, transport, property ethics and donor compliance is desirable.
- Have the ability to travel frequently to all project locations in Puerto Rico.
Under the leadership of the Engineer Associate, the successful candidate will be able to: achieve the mission and goals of the engineering department; provide the necessary engineering leadership to drive compliance with the contract requirements; and ensure high quality in construction project execution and delivery.