Consultant - Short-Term Proposal Writing - Africa
Location: Africa – East, Southern, West Central and Northern Africa
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
Mercy Corps’ portfolio across Africa has grown to 17 countries, including both humanitarian response and development focused programming. Mercy Corps is creating a roster of short-term business development consultants across the region to help support our Africa growth strategy.
Purpose / Project Description:
Short-term consultants will provide surge support on key business development initiatives. Short-term consultants are sought for a range of humanitarian and development focused opportunities.
The Consultant will be tasked with working closely with Mercy Corps Country offices and Headquarters teams to design and develop a competitive proposal based on field research, consultations with key internal and external stakeholders, input from technical and business development experts, and a thorough design process.
Responsibilities will include a range of activities related to pre-positioning, leading design workshops, development of strategy and lead writing. Specific responsibilities and deliverables will be tailored to individual business development opportunities and in-country needs.
Timeframe / Schedule:
Contingent on specific proposal opportunities.
Required Experience & Skills:
- 5-10 years experience in program design and proposal development in a wide variety of sectors and geographic locations.
- At least 2-3 years experience in field-based program and staff management, with regional knowledge of ESA, WCNA regions.
- Preferable experience with emergency as well as development proposal writing
- Masters degree preferred; International Development or Business Science preferred.
- Proven ability to work productively with a wide variety of stakeholders to run both participatory process and also meet tight deadlines with an emphasis on producing quality products.
- Experience with a wide range of donors including USAID and European institutional donors. Familiarity with other donors, including corporate donors, a plus.
- Experience developing and strong understanding of budget and cost proposal submissions, and personnel and staffing requirements for USAID, OFDA, EU (ECHO and DEVCO) and other institutional donor proposals.
- Strong negotiation skills and experience developing multiple-partnership arrangements for proposal development.
- Ability to lead teams, handle negotiations and facilitate planning processes.
- Ability to work effectively under tight deadlines and in sparse working environments.
- Exceptional written and interpersonal communication skills an absolute must.
- Native-level spoken and written English or Native-level spoken and written French
Please submit a cover letter, CV and two writing samples. Cover letter should include a list of past proposals including donor, value and if awarded.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.