Senior Director of Resource Development Operations and Analytics
About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within.
Now, and for the future.
Program / Department Summary
Mercy Corps' Resource Development (RD) team is composed of several dozen dynamic professionals who are passionate about Mercy Corps' mission and dedicated to supporting and collaborating with our global team that is improving the lives of 19 million people in 40+ countries. The RD team raises private funds by cultivating and maintaining relationships with donors, provides leadership and guidance on the agency's brand, and builds our public profile by sharing stories about our work and engaging with the media, the public and our supporters. RD teams that are directly responsible for raising funds to fuel our humanitarian mission include the Mass Market Fundraising, Corporate and Foundation, and Major Gifts teams.
General Position Summary
The Senior Director of Resource Development Operations and Analytics provides leadership to and oversight of the operations and analytics for RD, reporting to the VP Development. They will lead a team of data analysts, data engineers, and donor service staff to support a high impact fundraising and marketing team, providing strategic leadership and neutral counsel to the VP Development.
Essential Job Responsibilities
STRATEGY & VISION
- Drive resource development operations strategy to provide the infrastructure, processes, procedures and systems that optimize efficiency and productivity across RD.
- Recognize opportunities for innovative solutions and create an environment where alternative viewpoints are welcomed.
- Liaise with Mercy Corps Europe and Mercy Corps Northwest around resource development operations and analytics strategy as needed.
FINANCE & COMPLIANCE MANAGEMENT
- Serve as primary liaison between RD and Corporate Finance and International Finance, ensuring clear communication, efficient and productive processes, reconcilable systems, close coordination and a common understanding.
- Oversee the preparation of RD’s annual budget and the timely reporting of budgeted versus actual revenue and expense figures.
- Advise RD Team Leaders and the VP Development on industry trends, internal revenue and expense trends, anomalies, and opportunities for savings.
- Ensure RD departmental compliance with internal and external regulations for fundraising, finance, administrative and all-RD processes.
FINANCE & COMPLIANCE MANAGEMENT
- Lead fundraising and marketing analytics for the Resource Development Department including tools for forecasting and modeling revenue and expense, retention and donor participation.
- Produce analysis on Mercy Corps’ donor and supporter file and specific programs, the philanthropic environment and competitive landscape, and other analyses as needed.
- Partner with the Business Intelligence Developer and end users to design, test and improve reports and analytic products.
- Manage analytic vendor relationships.
- Recommend business practices that support fundraising analysis.
SYSTEMS & PROCEDURES
- Responsible for documenting, creating, revising and enforcing systems and procedures related to all resource development operations and business practices that require compliance with government regulations and adherence to professional standards.
- Serve as primary liaison between RD and IT.
- Manage all-RD initiatives, projects and processes, supporting the VP Development in providing a centralized service for cross-team coordination, issues review and all-RD project management including full team educational opportunities, all-RD retreats and other special projects. Lead and support initiatives to build a high-performing team.
- Collaborate with the IT Department’s Enterprise Solutions Group as a partner-member, ensuring that RD technical strategy and direction is in alignment with the larger enterprise roadmap.
- Develop the capacity of the team, deepen understanding of their roles and assist with career development.
- Provide team members with the information, tools and resources to improve performance and reach objectives.
- Promote accountability, communicate expectations and provide constructive feedback informally and formally via regular one on ones and performance reviews.
- Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect where team members strive to achieve excellence.
- Hire, orient and lead team members as necessary.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
ACCOUNTABILITY TO PARTNERS
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our partners and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging participant communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Directly manages the Administrative Assistant - Finance and Fundraising, Business Intelligence Developer, Database Manager, Gift Processing Manager, Donor Services Manager, and Online Database Manager.
Reports Directly To: VP Development
Works Directly With: RD Team Leaders, Development Operations, Corporate Finance, International Finance, IT and other Mercy Corps teams.
Knowledge and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in business, marketing, or a related field. Advanced degree preferred.
- A minimum of 10 years related experience managing high-volume development operations, sales operations, or advancement services is required.
- At least three years of supervisory experience, with proven ability to manage teams to success.
- Proven knowledge of development or sales operations, including: reporting standards, gift accounting, use of databases and development software.
- Experience with database systems required. Experience with Raiser’s Edge preferred.
- Experience supporting a data warehouse or sophisticated reporting platform including business analysis and requirements gathering.
- Demonstrated ability to create, manage and work in matrixed/cross-functional teams, strong facilitation skills and workflow analysis required to improve efficiency.
- Demonstrated analysis capacity, including written and verbal presentations.
- Experience with fundraising, sales or marketing analytics required.
- Experience in assessing and addressing operational needs relating to reporting, workflow, and technology.
- Experience working with finance at senior level.
The successful candidate is an innovative and collaborative leader who will advance Mercy Corps’ mission by partnering with staff across RD, IT and Finance to optimize fundraising and marketing impact. They are a highly motivated, curious leader with an investigative and analytical approach to RD data and operations. They will be an excellent communicator who is willing to ask questions and explain technical issues to non-technical staff. They will be a solutions oriented strategist who is able to understand the bigger picture while staying focused on the details. They will model a high degree of discretion, and possess the ability to manage confidential and highly sensitive information.
Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions
The position is based in Portland and requires no travel.
Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours when deployed in a field posting or on a visit/STA to a field posting. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC's policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Fostering a diverse and open workplace is an important part of Mercy Corps’ vision. Mercy Corps is an Equal Opportunity Employer regardless of background. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment.