Community Cohesion and Disaster Risk Reduction Manager - South Sudan
This position is pending funding
About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within.
Now, and for the future.
Program / Department Summary
This program will be a Multi-Year Emergency Food Security Activity (MYE), funded by the United States Agency for International Development -- Food for Peace (FFP), with a goal to enhance food and nutrition security, reduce future humanitarian caseload, and improve the resilience of communities to recurrent conflict and natural hazard-related hazards in one of five sub-regions of South Sudan. The goals of the MYE are closely aligned to the Partnership for Recovery and Resilience Framework in South Sudan.
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY:
The Community Cohesion and Disaster Risk Reduction Manager will be responsible for leading and supervising all the technical components of community cohesion and disaster risk reduction programming, ensuring that activities are successfully implemented. They will ensure peace messaging is developed and disseminated to raise awareness of the costs of conflict. In this context, risk for inter-community conflict is exacerbated by stresses caused by disasters. The successful candidate will strive to understand and address the causal linkages between community cohesion, disaster risk, and drivers of conflict.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Strategy and Vision
- Provide technical leadership, guidance and development of good practices that integrate dialogue and economic collaboration as tools for conflict mitigation and conflict risk reduction in complex environments.
- Identify, document and communicate within the team and with a wider community of stakeholders around ideas, trends and emerging capacities in South Sudan that fall in the intersection between economic development, disaster risk reduction and peacebuilding.
- Supervise program teams working on community cohesion and conflict risk reduction
- Hire, orient, and directly manage technical team
- Promote accountability, communicate expectations and provide constructive feedback informally and formally via regular one on ones and performance reviews.
- Design and deliver substantive trainings on the intersection between conflict mitigation, peacebuilding, conflict risk reduction and economic collaboration to community cohesion programs team.
- Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect where team members strive to achieve excellence.
- Collaborate with MC South Sudan program managers and advisors in the development and execution of program activities, monitoring and evaluation and reporting requirements.
- Design community cohesion and disaster risk reduction action plans using participatory approaches.
- Design and deliver activities that improve food security by strengthening capacity to anticipate, cope with, and recover from future shocks and stresses by addressing underlying causes of conflict, including environmental degradation and disasters, particularly where linked to food security.
- Assist program staff to identify and develop local expertise in conflict mitigation and peacebuilding
- Train program staff in community-led conflict and risk mapping, design, planning and implementation of conflict mitigation, peacebuilding and conflict risk reduction activities.
- Identify and nurture collaborative partnerships with appropriate local leaders, program partners, and other stakeholders.
- Participate in relevant fora in South Sudan related to peacebuilding and economic development.
- Document and disseminate lessons learned and best practices from Mercy Corps conflict, peacebuilding and resilience portfolios
- Provide technical assistance and mentoring of field-based program teams on best practice principles, disciplines, and methodologies related to conflict mitigation, peacebuilding, conflict risk reduction and economic collaboration.
- Assist with the development and delivery of training materials for teams during field visits.
As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve -- we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries
Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts towards accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: Community cohesion and community-based DRR program team
REPORTS DIRECTLY TO: Chief of Party
WORKS DIRECTLY WITH: Mercy Corps community cohesion and disaster risk reduction programs staff, M&E advisor and teams, South Sudan operations, finance and program departments; relevant Mercy Corps headquarters units as necessary, including Mercy Corps’ Conflict Management Group, Economic and Market Development Team, Environment Team, and various administrative/financial units.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- MA/S or equivalent in social science, management, business, or international development.
- Formal training in conflict management/mitigation, natural disaster risk reduction, economic/market development and peacebuilding is preferred.
- 5-7 years experience managing community cohesion, disaster risk reduction and/or conflict programming in a development setting.
- Experience in highly volatile security situations and a commitment to team safety.
- Commitment to the principles of participatory team management and participatory, community-oriented development.
- Effective verbal and written communication, multi-tasking, organizational skills.
- Fluency in English required. Language skills in Arabic, Nuer, Dinka or other languages used in South Sudan are a plus.
- Experience working in integrated economic development and peacebuilding interventions highly preferred.
- Familiarity with the South Sudan context is highly valued.
- Experience working with pastoralists is a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to work respectfully and constructively with local partners.
The successful Community Cohesion, Conflict and Disaster Risk Reduction Manager will have the ability to multi-task, set priorities, and work under tight deadlines within a complex team. The successful applicant will demonstrate an understanding of the Partnership for Recovery and Resilience Framework (PfRR) in South Sudan and be able to engage with relevant actors to work towards its common goals. S/he will demonstrate strong interpersonal and cross-cultural communication skills and be committed to the values and mission of Mercy Corps. S/he will take initiative and contribute to team efforts, as well as demonstrate an ability to communicate, assume leadership, and make solid decisions while working remotely from country leadership.
LIVING /ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS:
The position is based in Upper Nile State in South Sudan. Secure housing will be provided by Mercy Corps with some restrictions on freedom of movement beyond the house/office. The location is unaccompanied. Staff have a moderate degree of access to basic services – medical, electricity, water, etc, with travel to deep field locations where access to basic necessities is limited. This position is eligible for hardship and/or R&R benefits.
Mercy Corps Team members represent the agency both during and outside of work hours when deployed in a field posting or on a visit/TDY to a field posting. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC's policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.