Full-time / Non-exempt / Portland, Oregon / United States
Unrestricted U.S. work authorization REQUIRED
Starting salary, based on experience, is $40-43K
MERCY CORPS is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible.
In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within.
Now, and for the future.
- Support the accounting/financial processes for a portfolio of in-country teams (apx. 6-8)
- Ensure that our international books close on time and the financial reports from the field are complete and accurate
YOUR SUCCESS FACTORS
Your focus is on service and solutions first. You’re meticulous about details, deadlines and deliverables. You are eager to learn, grow and excel at all you do. You embrace the Mercy Corps mission and share our sense of intensity and urgency about the global issues central to our work.
- country monthly financial packages, reports and general ledger are received on time, complete, and accurate
- balance sheet accounts are reconciled monthly and all supporting information is received by headquarters
- payroll allocations are reviewed (and corrected, if and when necessary) and processed
MAINTAINING AND SUPPORTING
- general ledgers for field operations for complete and accurate preparation of required reports to donor agencies
- the finance department with general ledger detail entry, transaction coding, preparation of wire transfer requests, and other accounting transactions
- preparation for annual public audit, including preparing assigned audit schedules and gathering other information as needed
YOUR SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- 2+ years of accounting experience with knowledge of GAAP
- Significant experience preparing and presenting financial reports, completing general ledger reconciliations, and month-end close
- Proficiency with accounting software products and Excel
- Experience in a nonprofit setting and/or managing grants is desirable
- Strong interpersonal skills, verbal and written communication, and cross-cultural competency
- Expert attention to details, procedures, and deadlines
- BA/S in accounting is preferred
The International Finance Department plays a key role in ensuring that Mercy Corps’ programmatic objectives are met and timely, accurate and complete financial reporting is provided to our internal and external customers (i.e. donors, etc.). The team supports the Corporate Finance department as well as our country offices in the field (currently Central Asia, South Asia, Africa, the Middle East, and Central America).
- Sustainable Benefits & Compensation
- Zero-premium health, dental and vision coverage for team member, spouse and dependents
- 90% subsidized annual TriMet pass
- 403(b) retirement savings account with a 6% employer contribution
In support of our belief that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we empower all team members to dedicate 5% of their time to learning activities that further their personal and/or professional growth and development
Equity & Inclusion
At Mercy Corps, we believe that empowering people and fostering a diverse and inclusive environment where all feel equally respected and valued will help us create a secure, productive and just world. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and welcome applicants of all religions, ethnicities, citizenships, educational backgrounds, gender identities and expressions, sexual orientations, ages, socioeconomic statuses, disabilities, and veteran statuses, and we'd love to learn about what you can add to our team.
Safeguarding & Ethics
Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our stakeholders and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC's policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Please submit a resume and thoughtful cover letter, along with brief application information.