Portland, OR - Marketing and Communications Intern
INTERN WORKSITE LOCATION: Portland, Oregon
LENGTH OF INTERNSHIP: September 2019 – April 2020
INTERN SUPERVISOR & CONTACT INFORMATION: Communications & Marketing Manager
FUNDING AVAILABLE FOR THE INTERNSHIP: $500/month stipend
Mercy Corps responsibilities
For the duration of this internship assignment the intern will receive:
- Training and supervisory support
- Workstation with computer, internet, and phone access
- Access to Mercy Corps online tools
- All other tools, materials and communication requirements for this project to be undertaken
Intern will remain responsible for all costs associated with:
- Travel to and from Mercy Corps HQ
- Laptop for working remotely
- Accommodation, travel and living expenses
- All other costs associated with this internship
Mercy Corps is looking for an intern to support the digital marketing strategy of Mercy Corps Northwest. The Marketing and Communications Intern will play an active role in the development of Mercy Corps NW’s online community presence. The intern will work on a team to maintain Mercy Corps NW’s presence on various social media platforms and help to both create and publish content that is relevant to small business owners in Portland, Seattle and Walla Walla, Washington. They will regularly use social media analytics to ensure content is relevant. They will also assist in maintaining Mercy Corps NW’s archive of communications content, including client stories. The Marketing and Communications intern will specifically target specific communities for event promotion and/or ongoing programs.
The Marketing and Communications intern will work closely with the Communications and Marketing Manager of Mercy Corps Northwest to identify and respond to specific, prioritized information requests. Specific tasks will include managing social media accounts, developing client stories, and assisting with other communications development.
- The successful candidate will possess a desire to learn how content plays a deep role in building audience, client engagement and supporting organizational mission and objectives.
- This internship provides the candidate an opportunity to maintain a variety of social media platforms, within a fast paced, dynamic and interactive business office work environment.
- The candidate will have the opportunity to advance their skills in cross collaboration communication, organizational culture, non-complex problem solving and time management.
- The intern will also gain understanding of building relationships within the context of social media outreach and marketing how their efforts have an impact in the broader organizational context.
Additional learning objectives may be negotiated with the intern, depending on skills, interests, and country program needs.
- Create social media content, blog posts, and assist with coordination of media assets.
- Drive traffic to MCNW website and promotes website content.
- Create monthly client spotlight stories and/or related communications assets.
- Report to Communications and Marketing Manager and all MCNW communications team weekly on status of all social media platforms.
IDEAL CANDIDATE SHOULD POSSESS THE FOLLOWING QUALIFICATIONS:
- Proven experience and/or interests in writing, content management, and creative communications
- A detail-oriented mindset and desire to expand marketing skillset
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Experience and/or knowledge using social media platforms and listening tools
- Knowledge of research methods (quantitative and qualitative) is a plus
Mercy Corps interns staff represent the agency both during and outside of work hours and are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC's policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Diversity is powerful. To achieve transformational change, we seek out team members with different origins, beliefs, backgrounds and ways of thinking. Diversity helps us unlock complexity.