Employee Engagement and Workplace Giving Officer
About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
Program / Department Summary
The Resource Development team (RD) works to raise private funds, cultivate and maintain relationships with private donors, and define the agency’s brand. The team raises Mercy Corps’ public profile and shares stories about our work by engaging with the media, the public, and our supporters, producing a wide range of online and offline communications. We are passionate about Mercy Corps’ mission and dedicated to supporting our worldwide team that is improving the lives of 30 million people in more than 40 countries.
In support of that mission, the Corporate Partnerships Team manages Mercy Corps’ relationships with major US companies by raising unrestricted revenue, co-creating strategically restricted grants and elevating Mercy Corps’ brand profile. We set bold agency-wide strategies, develop and manage relationships with corporate partners, and advance Mercy Corps’ mission through funding and partnerships.
General Position Summary
This position supports the ability of the Corporate team to deepen partnerships with key corporate partners and raise critical unrestricted funds. The Employee Engagement and Workplace Giving Officer will implement, maintain and grow programs to engage employees of key corporate partners in Mercy Corps’ mission and to increase revenue from those sources. This position’s focus on employee giving and employee engagement complements and supports the work of our Corporate Partnership Directors who manage a portfolio of high value, long-term relationships with major US Companies.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Work closely with the Directors managing strategic corporate partnerships to deepen partnerships through employee engagement activities and initiatives.
- Work closely with the Public Engagement Team, Communications team, Technical Support teams and others to design, develop and implement meaningful engagement and volunteer activities for a partner employee audience.
- Manage the planning, logistics, policies and administrative needs related to strategic pro bono volunteer experiences for partner employee groups.
- Maintain sales and informational materials related to employee volunteering and engagement.
- Develop and produce communications materials to report back to corporate partners on employee engagement events and activities.
- Recruit, organize and supervise interns, temps or volunteers as needed or required for tabling opportunities, events, administrative needs or special projects.
EMPLOYEE, WORKPLACE AND MATCHING GIFTS
- Work in close collaboration with the Communications, Digital, and Creative teams to implement effective employee giving, corporate fundraising, workplace giving and matching gift strategies in order to grow Workplace Giving revenue.
- Work closely with the Directors managing strategic corporate partnerships on integrating employee giving and matching gifts into overall relationship plans and strategies.
- Maintain external employee fundraising and matching gift documents such as FAQs, fact sheets, online tool kits and the Mercy Corps website in relation to employee giving, corporate employee fundraising and matching gifts.
- Create and maintain Workplace Giving sales and stewardship materials.
- Leverage tools and policies for increased Workplace Giving during disaster response.
- Respond to employee giving, matching gift, and employee fundraising queries and initiatives.
- Implement the data entry process, queries and other activities surrounding tracking and stewardship tools, including the tracking of events and streamlining of processes to facilitate efficient information storage and retrieval, as created by the Business Development and Private Grants Officer.
- Coordinate closely with the Community Fundraising Officer to provide administration for the peer-to-peer fundraising platform, create efficiencies and ensure cohesive policies.
- Work with Workplace Giving federations and fundraising platforms including GlobalGiving, Benevity and others to grow their contribution by ensuring information is accurate and donors receive quality service.
- Other duties as assigned
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
ACCOUNTABILITY TO PARTNERS
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically
to our partners and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging partner communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Reports Directly To: Interim Managing Director of Corporate Partnerships
Works Directly With: Corporate Partnership Directors, Corporate Partnership Deputy Directors, Mass Market Fundraising team, Development Operations team, Public Engagement Team, Brand + Digital Marketing team
Knowledge and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- At least 4-6 years’ experience in the field of employee engagement, communication, marketing, fundraising or advocacy, with work experience communicating with people by phone and email
- Successful fundraising experience or workplace giving program implementation preferred
- Event planning and implementation experience preferred
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with professional demeanor.
- Demonstrated people skills and customer service experience.
- Highly organized with a strong attention to detail.
- Ability to work well independently, with minimal supervision and balance multiple priorities.
- Experience in MS Office, Google Drive and Office tools and database software.
The successful Employee Engagement and Workplace Giving Officer will have strong interpersonal skills and excellent written and verbal communication skills. They will be highly organized with strong attention to detail, and will be able to balance multiple priorities and work well in a team as well as independently, with minimal supervision. This person will represent Mercy Corps well to partners’ employees, Workplace Giving platforms, vendors and all other stakeholders. Finally, this person will have an interest in humanitarian and development issues, be dedicated to Mercy Corps’ mission of helping to build more secure, productive, and just communities, and will share that passion with supporters.
Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions
The position is based in Portland, Oregon and it requires up to 15% travel within the United States.
Fostering a diverse and open workplace is an important part of Mercy Corps’ vision. Mercy Corps is an Equal Opportunity Employer regardless of background. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment.