Portland, OR - Strategy and Learning Communications Intern
INTERN WORKSITE LOCATION: Portland, Oregon
LENGTH OF INTERNSHIP: May-August 2019 (Flexible as long as 3 months minimum)
Availability: M-F 9am-5pm, 30 hrs per week within the normal business week
INTERN SUPERVISOR & CONTACT INFORMATION: Strategy and Learning Advisor
FUNDING AVAILABLE FOR THE INTERNSHIP: $500/month
Mercy Corps responsibilities
For the duration of this internship assignment the intern will receive:
- Workstation with computer, internet, and phone access
- Access to Mercy Corps online tools
- Participation in Strategy Team meeting
- All other tools, materials and communication requirements for this project to be undertaken
Intern will remain responsible for all costs associated with:
- Living expenses
- Transportations costs
- All other costs associated with this internship
Mercy Corps exists to create positive impact for the communities we serve by ensuring excellence in our work and accountability to ourselves, our donors and our beneficiaries. The Strategy and Learning Team ensures that Mercy Corps has the strategies and learning that will enable it to be a world-class, cutting edge, humanitarian organization, creating transformational change in the world.
The strategy and learning team is looking for an intern to review Country Strategies which are often between 20-30 pages and identify the essence of the country team’s strategy and vision, honing it down to a compelling narrative which can be shared with external audiences in an Executive Summary. The Executive Summaries will comply with brand guidelines in the narrative sense and visually, while also staying true to the original country team’s vision.
- Work with diverse country teams (5-10) to review their Country Strategy and develop a 4-6 page Executive Summary that captures the essence of their Strategy using compelling language and imagery.
- Develop other Templates and tools for Country teams to communicate with external stakeholders about their Strategy and Vision
- Assist in developing communication strategies to engage team members across the agency.
- Coordinate with the Strategy team, Country Teams, Resource Development team, and others to ensure that deliverables meet criteria from differing stakeholders.
- Gain skills in donor-centered writing and storytelling and preparing compelling presentations of information for internal and external use.
- Gain experience in working with and translating program and strategy documentation into accessible and visual designs under brand specific guidelines.
- Gain an understanding of design processes and work flow in an agency setting
- Receive critique, feedback and review of work while maintaining a high level of autonomy
- Be exposed to the strategic processes at Country level
- Build communication, planning and organizational skills
- Gain experience in a multi-cultural work environment, coordinating and communicating with a global team across time zones and geographies, many of whom operate in complex, challenging environments
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE:
We’re looking for a creative individual who rises to the challenge and is driven to develop their media and communications by bringing teams’ stories to life visually. Internship candidates should demonstrate the following:
- Has a Bachelor’s degree or beyond
- Compelling storytelling skills – able to deliver insights in a way that generates engagement
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Creative problem solver – able to design, develop and revolutionize ideas
- Attention to detail – able to manage and track requests and changes to projects
- Experience with Photoshop or other design software a plus
- Interest in working in a multicultural environment, and with stakeholders in multiple geographies
- Empathy and passion for people, organizations and aid – able to discover, delve into and deepen what works to improve aid impact
Mercy Corps interns staff represent the agency both during and outside of work hours and are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC's policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Diversity is powerful. To achieve transformational change, we seek out team members with different origins, beliefs, backgrounds and ways of thinking. Diversity helps us unlock complexity.