Portland, OR - Business Development Intern
INTERN WORKSITE LOCATION: Portland, OR
LENGTH OF INTERNSHIP: May – September 2019 (Flexible as long as 3 months minimum)
Availability: M-F 9am-5pm / 24-32 hours/week (Flexible)
INTERN SUPERVISOR & CONTACT INFORMATION: Director, Corporate and Foundation Partnership Services
FUNDING AVAILABLE FOR THE INTERNSHIP: $500/month
Mercy Corps responsibilities
For the duration of this internship assignment the intern will receive:
- Training and supervisory support
- Workstation with computer, internet, and phone access
- Access to Mercy Corps online tools
- All other tools, materials and communication requirements for this project to be undertaken
Intern will remain responsible for all costs associated with:
- Travel to and from Mercy Corps HQ
- Laptop for working remotely
- Accommodation, travel and living expenses
- All other costs associated with this internship
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within.
In support of Mercy Corps’ mission, the Corporate and Foundation Partnerships team manages Mercy Corps’ fundraising relationships with major US companies and foundations. We set bold visions for the positive social change we can create with our partners, provide outstanding partner services and relationship management, and together build meaningful partnerships that provide value to all parties while creating lasting impact for the people and communities we serve around the world.
This internship will support business development efforts for the Corporate and Foundation Partnerships team at Mercy Corps, with the goal of crafting effective outreach strategies for specific business segments and partners. Specifically, the position will be responsible for providing in-depth research on key current and potential donors, including information about their philanthropy, cause marketing, corporate social responsibility interests, non-profit partners and global operations, in alignment with Mercy Corps’ mission and interests. Tasks include crafting outreach materials to support stewarding and growing our partnerships. The intern will also be responsible for entering information into our donor management system database to support analysis and strategy recommendations.
As a result of this internship, you will gain a thorough understanding of the role that corporations and foundations play in global development work. This internship is particularly well-suited for those interested in corporate social responsibility practices. You will also become familiar with how fundraising strategy is crafted and the data required to inform decision-making. You will become familiar with most widely used fundraising database in the industry. You will have a chance to be a member of a dynamic team that successfully partners with world-class companies and foundations around the globe in support of a powerful and compelling mission.
- Learn about corporate social responsibility and global philanthropy trends
- Understand how to research corporate social responsibility
- Be able to assess giving capacity of corporate and foundation prospects
- Understand how non-profits form strategic partnerships with companies and foundations
- Understand the role of private funding in international development
- Be able to use the Raiser’s Edge database
- Provide in-depth research on corporate and foundation prospects
- Compile and analyze fundraising and prospect results
- Enter information into the Raiser’s Edge database
- Provide insight into donor behavior
- Support content and materials critical to stewarding and growing relationships
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE:
- Must currently be college or graduate student student or have completed your last degree within the last 12 months
- Be available for between 3 – 4.5 months, for a minimum of 24 hours/week
- An undergraduate degree, ideally with a focus in international development or similar
- Ability to conduct and summarize thorough and accurate research
- Outstanding writing skills
- Strong attention to detail and ability to manage to deadline
- Understanding of corporate and/or foundation business models and structures
- Experience working in databases and Excel
- Interest in corporate social responsibility, global philanthropy and/or international humanitarian aid and development
Mercy Corps interns and team members represent the agency both during and outside of work hours and are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC's policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Diversity is powerful. To achieve transformational change, we seek out team members with different origins, beliefs, backgrounds and ways of thinking. Diversity helps us unlock complexity.