Content Strategy Team Social Media Intern - Portland, OR
INTERN WORKSITE LOCATION: Portland, OR
LENGTH OF INTERNSHIP: July – December 2019
AVAILABILITY: M-F, 4 hrs. per day (preferably 9am-1pm)
INTERN SUPERVISOR & CONTACT INFORMATION: Dir. Content Strategy
FUNDING AVAILABLE FOR THE INTERNSHIP: $500/month stipend
Mercy Corps responsibilities
For the duration of this internship assignment the intern will receive:
- Workstation with internet and phone access
- Access to Mercy Corps resources, personnel and online tools
- All other materials needed for success
Intern will remain responsible for all costs associated with:
- Travel to and from Mercy Corps HQ
- Accommodation, travel and living expenses
- Personal laptop
- All other costs associated with this internship
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within.
The Brand Marketing team, comprised of Brand Development and Content Strategy, the Creative team and the Digital Optimization team, is focused on raising our profile and making sure that the most important audiences – program partners and participants, government and corporate funders, private donors – know the value we bring to the world and want to work with us.
Mercy Corps is seeking a social media intern to help manage, create, and monitor content for our owned channels, as well as contribute to the development of our ongoing social strategy.
- Manage incoming social content requests from across teams, including communication and scheduling;
- Conduct relevant research and write content for all social media channels (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram);
- Work with Social Media Manager to review drafts and finalize;
- Coordinate with Social Media Manager and Project Managers to develop any necessary content with creative teams;
- Schedule and post all content across all owned channels;
- Monitor and respond to comments from organic and paid social content;
- Meet deadlines according to the editorial calendar;
- Help shape Mercy Corps social voice and behavior;
- Work with Social Media Manager and Dir. Content Strategy to inform channel strategy
The Content Strategy Team Social Media Internship will give interns the opportunity to explore the many facets of content strategy including project management, strategy, and creative development. The responsibilities of this position will push the intern to sharpen their approach to communication, and their ability to write in a clear, succinct, compelling way.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE:
- University degree in progress or recently completed (within 1 year)
- Is detail-oriented, collaborative, and can communicate well across teams
- Has proven writing experience and can provide samples
- Is comfortable using social media platforms (especially Twitter, Facebook, Instagram)
- Has a passion for the Mercy Corps mission
- Experience with related tools (scheduling and drafting tools, e.g. Buffer/Hootsuite) preferred
Mercy Corps interns staff represent the agency both during and outside of work hours and are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC's policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Diversity is powerful. To achieve transformational change, we seek out team members with different origins, beliefs, backgrounds and ways of thinking. Diversity helps us unlock complexity.