Administrative Assistant - Fundraising and Finance
* Cover letter is required for consideration
About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible.
In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions
into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within.
Now, and for the future.
Program / Department Summary
The mission of the Resource Development (RD) department is to advance the organization’s strategic goals and support our worldwide team by raising flexible funds, profile and influence. The RD team encompasses several dozen dynamic professionals who possess a wide range of skills. We are gift officers, direct response fundraisers, web developers, marketers and media relations strategists. We are database managers, digital specialists, creative designers, storytellers and teachers. Most of all, we are passionate about Mercy Corps’ mission and believe a better world is possible.
General Position Summary
This is a half time temporary position for 9 months from date of hire. It could grow to a full time permanent position.
The Administrative Assistant – Fundraising & Finance reviews RD expenses, including travel plans and accounts payable with the Finance department; coordinates the annual budget process in partnership with the Senior Director of RD Operations & Analytics; and may prepare financial reconciliation reports. They maintain state registrations. The Administrative Assistant – Fundraising & Finance provides telephone and administrative support to Donor Services and does limited but regular gift processing with the Gift Processing Team.
FINANCE & COMPLIANCE MANAGEMENT
- Secure approvals for all RD-related expenses and obtain the proper signatures and back-up documentation for submission to Finance for payment; code and track expenses as needed.
- Complete all necessary paperwork for annual state registrations and coordinate with Mercy Corps vendor to ensure that Mercy Corps remains in compliance and retains the right to fundraise in all states. Assist satellite offices with local registrations as needed.
- Assist all RD staff with financial policy and procedure compliance. Train new staff in policies and procedures. Liaise with Finance on behalf of RD staff.
- Serve as the RD Travel liaison, supporting travel arrangers and RD travelers as needed.
- Assist RD team members in preparing consulting agreements and serve as RD point of contact with Finance/HR/Global Procurement and Legal team as needed for these agreements.
- Cross train with the Donor Services Team on phone calls; provide daily phone coverage. Up to 15% of work.
- Provide administrative support to RD, especially focused on meeting support such as arranging travel, scheduling, arranging catering, meeting set-up and break-down, and note-taking.
- Cross train with Gift Processing and process gifts on a regular basis. Up to 15% of work.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
ACCOUNTABILITY TO BENEFICIARIES
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically
to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Reports Directly To: Senior Director of RD Operations & Analytics
Works Directly With: Chief Development & Marketing Officer, RD Team Leaders, other RD team members and Corporate Finance, Global Procurement
Knowledge and Experience
- College degree or equivalent in a related field.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite in general, strong Excel skills.
- At least 1 year experience with financial data, especially accounts payable and related analysis experience is required.
- 1 year+ experience in a non-profit setting; understand the difference between unrestricted & temporarily restricted, highly preferred.
- Extremely detail oriented; excellent proofing; highly accurate and precise in complex multi-step processes.
- Experience creating and maintaining documentation; experience replicating success in detail-oriented accounts payable and similar procedures.
- Excellent problem solving and interpersonal skills.
- Good written and spoken communication skills.
A successful candidate will be a versatile multi-tasker with the proven ability to organize and prioritize many urgent tasks, follow procedures, and meet deadlines. They will be committed to getting it right every time, creating procedures and documentation to replicate success with complex processes repeatedly. They will be interested in fundraising. They will have a demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with team members of varied work styles. A proven ability to learn quickly, take initiative and be accountable for results are important as well as an ability to understand the larger picture while remaining focused on the details. An even temperament, a good sense of humor and an awareness of and sensitivity to multi-cultural international development work are essential to success.
Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions
Position is based in Portland, Oregon at Mercy Corps Headquarters.
Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours when deployed in a field posting or on a visit/TDY to a field posting. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC's policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Fostering a diverse and open workplace is an important part of Mercy Corps’ vision. Mercy Corps is an Equal Opportunity Employer regardless of background. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment.