Consultant - Project YAFE Mobile App - Remote
Project Location: Remote
Yafe Mobile App, Educating Communities to Combat Hate Speech:
Dangerous speech and fake news are increasingly being attributed as major influencers of violent conflicts the world over, and Nigeria is no exception to this growing trend. The Yafe mobile app (Yafe means “forgiveness” in Hausa language) will educate users on how to identify dangerous speech, allow them to report it, and to create a digital community of practice to support negotiation, mediation and education efforts in protracted conflicts.
Purpose / Project Description:
This is an information dissemination pilot, promoting idea exchange, and education of community leaders on the topic of dangerous speech. By adopting this community-led approach to peace solutions, societies can learn from what works and adapt to the ever-changing dynamics of the conflicts. Using technology as a connector will allow polarized communities along conflict lines to shape a shared memory together and collectively envision a safe and secure future, which can elucidate avenues for reconciliation and forgiveness.
The Consultant will assist with finalizing the development and design of the Yafe mobile app in advance of a pilot release in northern Nigeria.
Objectives include working with the following technologies:
- Google’s Flutter framework
- Firebase(Cloud server)
- Google Analytics
- Feature development, widget creation, and plugin development
The Consultant will:
- Develop in Google’s Flutter framework
- Work with development and design team to close out feature work
- Help to deliver product-ready code in Android
The Consultant will:
- Consultant(s) will build Flutter Android app.
- Consultants will work with the team to pilot the app, get user feedback, and prepare for a launch to the store end of October/early November.
- Consultants will assist in closing out development of the app, and provide guidance on getting app to a product state post pilot to land in Google Play Store.
Timeframe / Schedule:
Closing date within 72 hours of posting.
Consultancy Dates: ASAP – September 30th
- App must be delivered by the pilot soft launch dates, Aug 26th.
- App must be in the Google Play Store by end of October/early November.
The Consultant will report to:
Technology for Development- Digital Technical Project Manager
The Consultant will work closely with:
Technology for Development team, Mercy Corps Nigeria team, Mercy Corps Nigeria developer
Required Experience & Skills:
- Android developer with 5+ years of experience
- Experience shipping android apps, have an app in Google’s Play store
- Knowledge of Google’s Flutter framework, including Firebase and cloud computing
- Strong understanding of new technologies, such as, bots, machine learning, and neural nets
Fostering a diverse and open workplace is an important part of Mercy Corps’ vision. Mercy Corps is an Equal Opportunity Employer regardless of background. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment.