Senior Copywriter - Fundraising and Development
TO APPLY: please upload an insightful cover letter and 2-3 relevant writing samples, along with your resume.
About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
Program / Department Summary
Resource Development (RD) staff work in three main areas: 1) raising private funds and cultivating and maintaining relationships with private donors; 2) defining the agency’s brand, raising our public profile and sharing stories about our work by engaging with the media, the public, and our supporters and producing a wide range of online and offline communications; and 3) teaching visitors to our Portland Action Center about issues of global poverty and engaging them in efforts to end it.
The RD team includes several dozen dynamic professionals who possess a wide range of skills. We are database managers, web developers, digital marketers, and public relations experts. We are writers, designers, photographers and teachers. We are fundraisers with expertise in direct response, online, community, major gift and corporate giving. We are specialists in fundraising analysis, stewardship, prospecting, and customer service. Most of all, we are passionate about Mercy Corps’ mission and dedicated to supporting our worldwide team that’s improving the lives of 20 million people in over 40 countries.
General Position Summary
The Senior Copywriter serves as the principal fundraising writer and editorial director on the Brand Marketing Team. They create and oversee messaging for the full suite of actions on campaign content, and partner with other creative team members to develop and implement campaign themes to ensure that fundraising messaging is aligned and accurate across all digital channels. They stay informed on the latest industry trends and track content performance, helping channel managers adapt accordingly. They exercise consumer-first thinking and expert marketing instincts, challenging strategies and briefs as necessary, enabling the team to deliver superior user experience and drive results. This person works closely with the Senior Digital Marketing Strategist to ensure that marketing content on the website, advertising, and email is accurate and delivered to channel managers and agency partners on time.
Essential Job Responsibilities
STRATEGY & VISION
- Owns editorial vision and direction of concepts and stories created in support of strategy briefs to drive Mercy Corps audiences toward a desired action.
- Leads copywriting team and maintains editorial oversight across multiple channels and communication formats.
- Partners with other team leaders in developing and maintaining agency-wide alignment of voice, brand and content strategy.
- Translates complex issues into compelling and accessible content.
- Writes and manages content creation (long-form and short-form), leveraging audience insights, production realities, and Mercy Corps’ brand story, to support Mercy Corps’ business objectives.
- Leads, oversees and provides primary content contribution for the email marketing program and supporter newsletter.
- Provides direction and editorial oversight for all writing tasks including developing story concepts, writing treatments and/or creative briefs, drafting reviews, and proofreading.
- Manages and develops a network of freelance writers and proofreaders as needed.
- Leads copywriting function and manages direct report(s) with a high level of autonomy and adaptability while working within a flexible and collaborative team setting.
INFLUENCE & REPRESENTATION
- Collaborates with and provides thought leadership to fundraising strategists, design team members, and other members of the Resource Development, Global Programs and Brand Marketing teams to develop and create concepts, content and campaigns.
- Owns editorial oversight and agency-wide guidance in the service of brand stewardship to ensure Mercy Corps’ voice and values comes to life consistently in all written communications.
- Provides ongoing oversight and mentorship to junior writers on work product and professional development.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
ACCOUNTABILITY TO PARTNERS
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our partners and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging participant communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Brand Copywriter, interns and freelancers as necessary
- Reports Directly To: Creative Director
- Works Directly With: Brand Marketing Team, Communications Team, Resource and Development Team, Field and Program Staff
Knowledge and Experience
- 8+ years of mid- to senior-level copywriting experience with distinct focus on fundraising and donor cultivation.
- Track record of using purposeful storytelling to drive organizational impact and fundraising results in a nonprofit, foundation or NGO setting.
- Talent, skill and leadership experience providing editorial oversight, brand management and alignment, and mentorship of junior writers in the interesting of strengthening and growing a creative team and vision.
- Proven success with translating fundraising strategies and goals into effective campaigns across multiple channels and communication formats.
- Demonstrated ability to adapt style and message for a variety of audiences – diversified portfolio of writing samples required.
- Experience with leveraging data and performance results to shape strategy and creative direction.
- Understands fundraising and marketing copywriting trends across varied media types.
- Strong project management skills and attention to detail.
- BA/S or equivalent in related field required – English, creative writing, marketing, or advertising.
The successful Senior Copywriter is an eternally curious, creative, and ambitious marketer who can partner with strategists and subject-matter experts to deliver powerful creative. They are a natural communicator who nimbly adapt fundraising voice and write both need and impact stories effectively. They are a skilled storyteller who can conceive and execute content that entertains, engages, educates and prompts the audience to take action. They are also a valuable thought partner in strategy discussions and always a reliable content-creation resource to their team. They are eager to learn and can inspire others to investigate ideas and experiment with new formats. They are a resourceful, flexible and practical individual who can solve immediate problems while staying on strategy and on schedule. Once deeply familiar with the agency’s mission, they will be able to convey a sense of intensity and urgency about the global issues central to the work of Mercy Corps.
Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions
Occasional work in the evening and on the weekends, as well as some domestic and/or international travel required.
Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours when deployed in a field posting or on a visit/STA to a field posting. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC's policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Fostering a diverse and open workplace is an important part of Mercy Corps’ vision. Mercy Corps is an Equal Opportunity Employer regardless of background. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment.