Technology Team Lead
Do you have a passion for nonfiction storytelling?
Do you have relentless curiosity about new technology with a keen interest in VR/360/AR?
Are you a leader, with a strong track record of directing teams to create and deliver strong products?
If YES, we want to hear from you!
New Ventures Lab – A division of McClatchy – is hiring a Technology Team Lead to lead a small technology team that supports storytelling efforts tied to McClatchy’s 30 newsrooms and our Storytellers in Residence program, leveraging new and emerging technology to advance nonfiction storytelling in a significant way.
As the Technology Team Lead, you will:
- Be responsible for developing an execution strategy, to maintain and expand the architecture of McClatchy’s emerging XR products.
- Use the principles of design thinking to fearlessly experiment, prototype and change course when necessary.
- Help develop our network of tech-savvy creators and build our community, both locally and industry-wide.
- Take part in screenings, social events and workshops hosted by New Ventures Lab or in conjunction with our partners.
About McClatchy New Ventures Lab (mcclatchynvl.com)
This is a roll-up-your-sleeves startup environment, where traditional lines and roles blur as the team focuses on perfecting the experience. Our lab in downtown Sacramento is charged with creating powerful nonfiction stories in immersive formats, in an effort to bring local news to current and future generations of consumers.
If you’re a motivated individual with a passion to empower creatives to bring their imagination and ideas to life, you’ll fit right in.
- Oversee the New Ventures Lab codebase, building roadmaps and processes for architecting and releasing new features across our XR products.
- Manage the day-to-day output of the technology team comprised of programmers, artists and producers
- Mentor content teams through full production sprints including conception, production, quality control and delivery
- Work collaboratively to make sure deliverables meet stakeholder and user expectations
- Maintain strategic roadmap and backlog
- Define development schedules
- Participate in feedback sessions with stakeholders and audiences
- Demonstrate flexibility and the ability to pivot based on product feedback
- Engage with the creative community through social events and workshops hosted by New Ventures Lab
- Stay up-to-date on cutting-edge advancements in visual storytelling tools and emerging platforms
- 2-4 years of experience leading a technical team
- Proven track record of delivering successful VR/360/AR projects
- Knowledge of Jira or similar project management tool
- Experience leading Android or iOS app publication and distribution
- Experience building 3D experiences in Unity
- Ability and desire to track audience and digital media trends
- Ability to effectively communicate with engineers, developers, graphic artists and executives
- Working knowledge of AWS offerings
- Experience with VR/AR production workflows and design thinking principles
McClatchy (NYSE: MNI), the nation’s largest local news publisher, operating 30 newsrooms, including The Miami Herald, Kansas City Star, Sacramento Bee, and Charlotte Observer. An element of local storytelling powered by 1,000 journalists is core to everything we do.