Real-Time Reporter II
McClatchy is looking for three ambitious, high-energy real-time news reporters to work out of its Washington, DC office.
These positions are needed to compile and produce lightning-fast stories and posts on all news that is driving the conversation online. This job is based in our DC Office and we are open to considering the possibility of having a reporter work from one of McClatchy’s other newsrooms nationwide.
The Real-Time News Reporter will be responsible for writing, compiling and/or producing lightning-fast stories and posts on the national, political, business, entertainment, sports and lifestyle news that is driving the conversation online – or will be driving it a few minutes from now. It could be a mug shot going viral, or a snowstorm stunt, or just Beyoncé one-upping Coldplay at the Super Bowl – all in the same day.
The most compelling candidates will have:
- The ability to write quickly, accurately and well
- Solid news judgment and excellent journalism ethics
- An intuitive sense of what’s important and interesting
- A good grasp of what drives interest on Facebook, Twitter and other social media platforms
- A strong entrepreneurial spirit, deep curiosity and extremely high energy
- A collaborative style that works comfortably across teams spread throughout the office and company
Quick study of CMSes and storytelling tools
Ability to effectively communicate with all levels of staff and editors
Education: College degree required.
Personal Attributes: Energy, flexibility, and online smarts. The ability to monitor a vast amount of information for a wide audience, matched with discerning judgment about what to pursue. The ability to execute both quickly and well, with creativity.