Regional Growth Producer
McClatchy’s West region is looking for a creative, high-energy journalist to join our regional audience growth team, which will work across 10 newsrooms in California, Boise and Washington state. The team is responsible for determining the best ways to promote our journalism and engage and interact with readers, with the goal of building long-term engagement and loyalty, while continuing to attract new audiences.
Candidates must have strong writing, editing and visuals skills. They will need a solid understanding of social media, and should be comfortable experimenting with other distribution methods such as newsletters and push alerts.
The ideal candidate would have experience working in content management systems and social platforms, plus a working knowledge with respect to editing video. The candidate must be organized and able to multitask, as he or she will be working with multiple newsrooms daily. Keen news judgment, strong communications skills and the ability to collaborate with fellow employees are also musts.
The regional growth producer will be based in Fresno and will report to the regional growth editor in Sacramento. Night and weekend hours are a possibility. Some travel might be required.
- Manage newsroom social media accounts. Deep expertise in a specific platform (ie, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc.) is a plus, but you will work on all platforms.
- Assist in creating strategies for engagement and crowdsourcing.
- Manage our home pages and optimize story pages.
- Monitor real-time analytics and make decisions based on that information.
- Assist reporters and editors with story packaging and content promotion. This includes identifying target audiences, determining story format, and improving and testing headlines.
- Produce customized newsletters and manage push alerts.
- Bachelor’s degree
- 2-3 years of writing and/or production experience
- Ability to write engaging headlines
- Working knowledge of SEO and digital best practices
- Solid news judgment
- A demonstrated understanding of digital audiences
- Ability to collaborate with a remote team located throughout the region